Mac 25 companionway threshold flexing

Seadoc

Aug 4, 2016
Macgregor 25 Virginia
My 85 Mac 25 has been on stands and now is back on her trailer. Both off and on the trailer I discovered that when the keel is retracted to its maximum up position that the area around the companionway flexes. This prevents the drop board from seating fully into the slots. I'm now trying to figure out a way to reduce or remove this distortion.

Has anyone else with a Mac 25 found this issue? If so, suggested correction methods.

Fair winds and thanks.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Has anyone else with a Mac 25 found this issue?
Is there a 1/2 inch plywood bulkhead surrounding the area? If not, what you've described could certainly happen.
If so, does the bulkhead wedge tightly against the step inside the companionway?

Pics of the bulkhead would be nice.

I'll look for some of mine to post.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Found one that barely shows the part. You can just see the stained and sealed plywood as it laps over and through-bolts with the upper bulkhead and companionway.
inside-cover.jpg

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Not very clear in these pics, but there should be a board that fastens the cockpit floor (deck half of boat) to the hull liner (which is firmly attached to the hull). My 1979 model has the winch step, which I reinforced with wide oak flooring .

Sep 25, 2008
There are also 2 bolts you can see in the front cockpit footwell.

Sep 25, 2008
found a better pick of the bulkhead setup

Seadoc

Aug 4, 2016
Macgregor 25 Virginia
Thanks, Cuscus,
You've jogged my mind. I'm refurbing the Mac 25 and have removed all of the bulkheads and other panels. There is a piece which fits beneath the threshold which may provide stiffness to the area when hoisting the keel. I'll have to check it out.

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
When I got my M25, that bulkhead board was shot, so I built a new one - I noticed every time I got in, the cockpit flexed a lot. Built the board out of 3/4 ply, and built in a step to make the entry a bit smoother.

Attachments

Seadoc

Aug 4, 2016
Macgregor 25 Virginia
Thanks, all! Have solved the issue by reinstalling the plywood section below the interior lip of the threshold.

• Helpful