M22 refit

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1EYO

Nov 30, 2011
Morgan M22 Cocoa, FL
This little centerboard boat has been close to the scrap yard more than I can count.

I think its a '68-9. I've gotten info off the web but I would like to talk to any owners and perhaps "stick my head in the bilge" to see how the Morgan CB was supposed to be installed and wired.

Centerboard is shot. Kick-up is gone. I'm wondering if Cattelina parts would fit.

So, I'm at the point where I'm grinding glass because I don't know what else to do or where to get replacement parts.

Suggestions?

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I answered your post on the Catalina owner forum. I have a 24 and re-engineered the CB arrangment because i didn't have any of the original fixture and wasn't going to blow a bunch of money on an unnecessarily complicated design. If I had an inboard it would be a different story.
I installed a bronze thru hull through the top of the aft end of the board trunk put another in the cocpit and connected the 2 with a piece of Shieldsflex exhaust hose (tough hose with a S/S wire coil). I used a magnet to find how far down the board the steel (or iron) core went and then drill a hole in the trailing edge of the board where it lined up with my thru hull arrangment. Now I haul the board up with a 3/8" double braid line and it works fine. I can take pics of the inside the boat and cockpit arrangement if you like, but the boat's in the water so no pics of the CB work and I didn't take any when I did the job. Sorry.
What's up with the CB? If the core isn't all swelled up and the top is relatively intact, my option will work. If the core is swelled it can still be repaired.
Is the kick up your rudder? Oh, I see http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=280 it has a transome hung rudder. A C-22 rudder might fit as long as the head is the right lenght and the rudder itself is the right area. Might have to move one or both pintles.
Through one of the links on my reply to your other post you should be about to find another M-22 owner that could give you the specs on the rudder. I say that because if it wen't for the occasional tumble weed rolling by there isn't much activity on this Morgan forum.
I think the ports can be rebuilt. Plenty of guys here on SBO have done this on their boats. That brings up a good point, there is a ton of great experience and knowledge available here on SBO but you might have to ask on "trailor sailors" or "ask all sailors". Tap into the archieves too, BUNCH of info there. Go to search and then forums.
I'm happy to help if I can.

N1EYO

Nov 30, 2011
Morgan M22 Cocoa, FL
Thanks so much. I'll check there too.
My CB has totally delaminated. Destroyed.
There are times when I get to feeling like I'm a bit crazy for continuing with the refit, as I'm sure every sailor has felt at one time or another.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Don't lose heart!
Actually, since the lifting hardware was gone the PO pinned my board in the up position and sailed it that way. So did I for a while until I got around to hauling and fixing it.
They won't point as high but these boats do sail well even without the use of the board.
Where are you located?

N1EYO

Nov 30, 2011
Morgan M22 Cocoa, FL
I'm in Cocoa FL, but the boat is on the hard west of Orlando.
I've got the centerboard out. Prior restoration efforts started making a new cb from aluminum plating. Kick up rudder also from plate. Just plain ugly. Think I want to stay close to original.

The two through hull connectors have been removed and I have the holes ground out and dished to accept Fiberglass repairs. I was also thinking of making the centerboard thrust bearing out of epoxy and graphite. I've got new a new pin of stainless.
Saloon has been gutted. I will probably replace the bulkheads under the mast foot as well. I trust nothing.

N1EYO

Nov 30, 2011
Morgan M22 Cocoa, FL
Another idea was to incorporate something like Re-E-Power pod. 48vdc. Could use a linear actuator for raising the keel.

My latest attempt to haul the boat to my location ended badly halfway through. The trailer bent in the middle and I was making sparks on I-4 just east of Tampa. I limped in to a friends house on SR33. Now my idea is to find a flatbed and winch the whole rotten mess on to it. I don't have any other ideas that won't cost more than I have in the whole project.

I may go over to Groveland this week to bring back the mast and such other stuffs I can throw into the pickup.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I hope you can get your boat home!
I like the idea of electric but would want to buy/store enough batteries for it. Maybe a small generator and it would need as many batteries?
Could also power a small AC for summer trips.

Dec 28, 2011
Morgan 24 Biloxi, MS
You could try Newrudders.com site - they may have the mold for the Morgan 22, they did for the Morgan 24 and quoted me $835 with $100 for shipping with a two week delivery time. Fortunately my internal centerboard system was there and I nearly have her up and running on the inside, awaiting the haul out to see what I am up against externally, at a minimum a new centerboard cable, I desire the system Charley Morgan designed but we will see....

Jul 16, 2011
Morgan 21 Guntersville
Hello! Have read your posts with keen interest. I am also working on a M22 project. It is a 1970 and some of the paperwork I inherited says on a hand written note that it was the showroom model for its year. I received it as a gift to our local BSA scouts from its second owner. Who owned it from 1983 until 2009. Unfortunately it sat on a trailor and at times filled with water inside the cabin and the extra weight of the water caused the lower fiberglass hull to sag and indent on the trailer bunkers. In March 2011 I hoisted the boat and have been sanding off layers of bottom paint. To my surprise over the last 10 months the hull has reformed its shape except sanding off paint has revealed a 10 inch through hull crack on starboard and likewise on the port where the hull had maximum pressure on the wooden bunker. I think the cracks can be repaired. They centerboard mechanism gear and wheels were rusted to ruin and the forward wood support frame to which the wheel (skoal?) attached is rotten. The centerboard seems swelled but sanding the keel area has exposed the pivot pin. These like may be very helpful to found out information to rebuild. I bought some catalina videos which was somewhat helpful. Keep posting progress!!

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Eagle,
Check out Bob Horans Morgan 24 site, lots of good info on M-22s there as well as M-24s. http://morgan24site.com.istemp.com/
Also, you can see the narrative of my CB lift modification. Simple, cheap and works great. Like light beer.

N1EYO,
Did you get your boat to Cocoa? Like to come see it when you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.