M 25xp b starter relay

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Anyone know either the Kabota or Universal part number for the M 25xpb starter relay?
Many thanks in advance.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I don’t think the stock starter has a separate relay. In addition to making the big electrical connection the solenoid needs to also push the gear onto the flywheel.

I added a relay before the solenoid because i wanted to reduce current flow at the engine panel. The starter pull ~30A just to push out the gear.

Include a picture of the part so I know I answered correctly.

Sep 23, 2009
Found my parts manual...
The the preheat/starter solenoid is universal 024639. Would like to cross reference the Kobota part number and also the 039275 fuel lift pump.
Had the same problem on another boat before. The engine always starts immediately with full charge but if voltage drops to about 12.4 or maybe even 12.6 nothing happens but you can hear the fuel pump running. All connections have been cleaned and tightened.

Sep 23, 2009
My bad, what I am referring to is the slave selenoid at the back of the engine not the starter relay on the starter motor.

May 20, 2016
Could you be looking at the glow plug relay?? It usually gets power from the starter power lug??

Sep 23, 2009
Yes but as I interpret the schematic it also is wired to the starter.I guess you are saying it is getting current from the starter not send current to the starter?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Yes but as I interpret the schematic it also is wired to the starter.I guess you are saying it is getting current from the starter not send current to the starter?
Correct - especially if.connected to big lug and not the little push connection on the starter solenoid.

Look at the specs Stu published above, I’m not sure when the factory started installing relays for the GP, but it’s a common mod, and lots of people use ford starter relays (overkill IMHO)

Feb 26, 2004
I’m not sure when the factory started installing relays for the GP, but it’s a common mod, and lots of people use ford starter relays (overkill IMHO)
I don't think it was the factory, Les, those solenoids came with the newer bigger engines, IIRC. I might be wrong...since my engine is almost as old as Les'!!!:)
The glow plug solenoid mod is easy, I did it the first year I had my boat back when I thought elekrisity was from rubbin' stix together.
http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Faster,_More_Efficient_Glow_Plug_Heating_with_a_Solenoid

Sep 23, 2009
Thanks Stu, I was trying to find that link. Thought it was in the 310 section. What I couldn't find was a reference to Kubota D10005 having a lift pump or glow plug solenoid. Perhaps these aren't needed on tractors.
Les I am getting the feeling that my batteries are asking for retirement. Will do some more testing this weekend.

Feb 26, 2004
What I couldn't find was a reference to Kubota D10005 having a lift pump or glow plug solenoid.
You're very welcome, glad to be able to help.
The reason you can't find that is because the engines themselves didn't come with those two items, hence no mention of a Kubota part. The electrical lift pump is external to the engine, but most likely is covered in the wiring diagram, unless it's always on which mine is so may not make it an issue in the engine wiring. The glow plug solenoid, as we've been saying and which was in my link, is an owner add-on so also not a Kubota issue. If this isn't clear enough, please let me know.

May 20, 2016
The lift pump is usually a $100+ facet solenoid pump (thumper) I have successfully used $20 turbine pumps from eBay (used in trucks). You need a pump that delivers 25-50gal/hr @ 6-8 psi.

cjm1

Jul 10, 2013
custom Herreshoff 33 sloop Lake Charlevoix
Just replaced starter on Universal 5432 (4 cylinder Kubota block) and it is just a tractor motor. Any starter repair can get you a starter cheaper than marine. It is an internal relay and would cost the same so bought a new starter for $125.00. I took the old one apart and it was just corrosion cleaned it up and lubed and now I have a spare

Sep 23, 2009
Thank you all.
CJ, where did you source the starter and is there a concern about it being marineized, ie, spark proof. I know diesel is not a major concern but we also have propane on board.

cjm1

Jul 10, 2013
custom Herreshoff 33 sloop Lake Charlevoix
It was just a starter/alternator repair shop. I don't believe the starter is the issue like the alternator. The one I purchased is identical to the original. It would help to know which tractor model that marinized version came from and that data is available on the web.