LUCY, a 1966 double ender built in 1966.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
A K. Aage Nielsen design. He drew quite a few double ended boats in his career.

LUCY is 26 feet long with a 9' beam. Unlike the similar sized (and age) boat in the background, LUCY's house ends short of the mast partners, which are at deck level.
Lucy beam_.jpg

She has a raised hatch over the forepeak that can be opened for dry ventilation at the aft end, or slid open for a companionway or stuffing sails into the forepeak.

Lucy quarter.jpg

Interesting boat. Looks like near standing headroom for most in the short saloon. If there is a berth forward, the raised hatch would make it quite nice (you have to duck to reach it).
Lucy stern.jpg

The sterns on several of these Nielsen boats that I know, are beautiful. You lose some volume for storage, cockpit, but the owners I've met of these double enders wouldn't have it any other way. Must be tricky to build these out of plank and frame wooden construction. But it can be done.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I frankly love the way double enders move through the water...

dj

Tod

Dec 30, 2010
Montgomery 17 trailered
Gorgeous! Interesting that such a small boat is wheel steered. I only wish the owner had been there to invite you aboard for a full tour!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thank you for posting pictures of such a pretty boat. Big fan of double enders.
I lived aboard a 56' schooner for 3-1/2 years as a kid and a couple from Canada lived on a double ender just 3 slips down. I always loved the look of their boat.
- Will (Dragonfly)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
One of the great things I loved living in Maine (Bath) was the beautiful sailboats every summer!