Lubing Ball Valves - Tip / Trick

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It just dawned on me, from a post on anther forum, that many boat owners don't know these tricks.

Bronze Ball Valve Style:

They are called "ball" valves. This means the part that shuts off the water flow is a ball. Simply remove the handle, put a small wrench across the flat spot on the valve stem, and the ball will rotate 360 degrees on most of them..

Use a flux brush or acid brush and stick it up inside the thru-hull do one side of the ball and then turn the ball and do the other.;) Lubing bronze ball valves when the ball is clean will get you minimal improvement in operation, and usually is not necessary, but it won't hurt. With Marelon it is a must. Opening and closing ball valves frequently is the BEST thing you can do for them as it prevents any adhesion or growth from attaching to the closed ball.

Don't pull hoses just remove the one nut, pull the handle and rotate with a wrench...

Cause I like you guys I just took a few photos:;)

Side 2 of the ball (note the number on the stem):

Open:

Side 1 of the ball:

P.S. This is a three year old Groco ball valve and the ball still looks brand new..

Marelon:

I know this works on the older ones but it may or may not on the newer style. You'll ant to do this out of the water or you could blow the o-ring out.

While the design lends itself to slightly more labor in getting the ball to spin it can be done, at least on the older ones.

#1 Remove Handle. Older "RC Marine" valves had a screw under the sticker that held the handle onto the valve. On the newer ones the handle just pulls off then the screw holds the handle stop in place.

#2 Remove set screw (on older ones set screw holds handle on and is under the sticker)

#3 Remove handle stop device:

#4 Rotate ball with needle nose pliers to grease both sides from the thru-hull fitting.

Still beats removing old hose or sanitation hose!;)

Don't lube them and they WILL fail!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Good thread Maine, thanks. My ten year old ball valves look just like that. But seven of those in fresh water. Does that make a difference? One of the few advantages of the winter haulout, I get to check these things.

Yes it can make a difference because there is less hard growth to attach to the ball and potentially score the valve seats. Exercising ball valves regularly, opening and closing them, is the best medicine.

Marelon must be lubed but bronze ball valves can often go for many years with only regular use, and still look and perform very well..

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Any tips on reaching the ball with the valve mounted horizontally and a 90 elbow attached to the thru-hull.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Just a caution about Marelon valves from one of our skippers: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2729.0.html

Doesn't mean you can't play with yours, but please be careful out there.

I just had our boat hauled, and will lubricate them with SUPER LUBE grease (not the spray) with a dowel from underneath. Not too hard a task. Even doing them from upstairs inside is easy. I use all of our seacocks every time we're on board. The boat is 25 years old, we've had here for 13 of those years and other than the large overboard head discharge 1 1/2 inch valve which leaked and was replaced 7 years ago, they are all working just fine. Never needed to deal with the handles myself.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ah, got Lanocote, too. That'll be it. Thanks for the reminder.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
The hose end or a long winter..:D
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :doh:

My valves are mounted to a 90 elbow which are mounted to the thru-hull. To reach up inside I have to get something around the 90 deg. bend to lube the ball.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :doh:

My valves are mounted to a 90 elbow which are mounted to the thru-hull. To reach up inside I have to get something around the 90 deg. bend to lube the ball.
But if you pull off the hose end then you should be able to get an artists paint brush in there unless you have another 90 degree ell... When you remove the handle the ball rotates 360 degrees allowing you to slather grease from either inside or outside, but in your case inside access would work better..;)