LP Gas Leak Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
The manual/instruction sheet of my gas range recommends a leak check by opening/closing the tank valve and then observing whether there is a drop in pressure. As far as I can see, this only addresses the gas tightness in the line from the tank to the solenoid operated safety valve.

Should one not check the rest of the line, by leaving it filled after activating burner, shutting it down without emptying line? Problem is that the connections inside the range to the burners are out of sight and difficult to test with soap. A match test is obviously not recommended.

Or is there a valid reason why the manufacturer does not mention to check this area?

I could well imagine that there is a risk, if only one burner is operating with the other one ( including the oven) being shut off, but having a leaking valve, that there could be a risk exposure from escaping gas.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
The manual/instruction sheet of my gas range recommends a leak check by opening/closing the tank valve and then observing whether there is a drop in pressure. As far as I can see, this only addresses the gas tightness in the line from the tank to the solenoid operated safety valve.

Should one not check the rest of the line, by leaving it filled after activating burner, shutting it down without emptying line?
You would leave the solenoid on to test the gas pipe from the tank to stove connection. You would also keep the burner(s) off. Any drop in pressure would indicate a leak. Checking
the stove connection, burner valves & tank connections would be straight forward with soapy water in a spray bottle. There should be no other joints/connections between the source & appliance so after shaking all of the above out, if you have a drop in pressure, replacement of the gas line would be in order.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
How long should the stove, gas pipes and fittings hold the pressure after the gas is shut off at the tank ?
Bob

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I would say a 24 hour test (as described by Misfits) without a drop in pressure should tell the story.

HOWEVER don't get toooooooooooo concerned if you see a few pounds drop overnight and you're checking first thing on a cold morning. The gas pressure may change a little with temperature. If you're worried, wait for the outdoor temp. to go up and see what happens.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I hope you don't have pounds of pressure in the line after the regulator.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
A leak that will get you into trouble will be evident within a few minutes. I turn the gas on to pressurize the system and shut it off, watch the gauge for a few minutes and if there is no drop turn the tank valve on and go from there.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
From what I have been able to find out the ABYC standard is for the propane gauge to hold the pressure for 4 minutes after the tank valve is closed. If it would hold full pressure for 24 hrs fantastic ! I don't know if that would be possible with the solenoid valve and the packing around the tank valve. Does anyone have a system that holds the pressure for 24 hours ? Ours holds steady for hours but goes down over night. I think a leak that small would be hard to find, it must have a very small quantity of gas in the line and the pressure after the regulator will be very low.
Bob

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
I thought the threshold was a noticable drop in pressure within five minutes.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
How good are your eyes?

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
At regulated pressure, the volume and pressure in the line is pretty low so a few hours is good. You have to be careful with high pressure against any controls which usually have a max inlet of 1/2 psi or 15 inches of water column. You would not test against the control more than that. If you had a manual valve at the appliance, you could close that and test the lime between that valve back to the tank valve at 2 psi using a kohlman (sp?) gauge. But they are expensive. Frankly soap bubbles will suffice for checking the line but you also need to make sure the control is holding too and you can check that with a lighter at the orifice.

Regardless keeping the tank off when not in use is advised, especially in a low lying confined space.

John R

Oct 9, 2012
Catalina 36 Emeryville
I have a propane detector on my boat. What do others think of these systems?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Don't bet your life on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.