Lowrance map compatibility

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I broke the mounting bracket on my ancient Lowrance Globalmap 1600. I want to replace it with something newer and faster. It has an external GPS antenna input and a separate proprietary NMEA connector. I can't seem to find a direct replacement GPS map unit. Any ideas what will plug in? I don't need much on the lake. Mostly I set waypoints for the slip and a few spots on the lake to avoid. By the time we might relocate to a larger lake the next unit will probably be due for replacement also.

lowrance_1600.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Most of the current GPS units have built in antennas, the old mushrooms are mostly obsolete. Likewise, it looks like your old unit is based on NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000 is the sort of new (now 20+ years old) standard. Some current models have 0183 connections along with 2000 connections.

The short story is find a chart plotter that meets your budget. If you have speed and depth sensors feeding the old GPS, you may need a NMEA bridge to connect them or new sensors and instruments.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks Dave. I suspected something like this. If my vehicle radar detector can have GPS built in, surely the new plotters do. My wind and depth sensors feed my (also old) Raymarine ST50. I'm not sure how my autohelm gets directional input unless the GPS antenna cable splits somewhere. Would a newer plotter with GPS feed my old ST 4000 helm system?
This will be more than a simple plug-in update

edited the autohelm part. it didn't make any sense

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
I'm a B&G guy, so my knowledge of Raymarine is limited. If you stay with RM you can probably make this work, however, you may need a bridge to allow the 2 devices to talk to each other.

@LeslieTroyer and @Stu Jackson will probably have better information.

When I headed down this path with my ancient B&G electronics, I ended up with new everything from sensors to displays, to plotter.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
A RM E22158 will convert your AP and ST50 instruments to SeaTalkNG/NEMA2000. Which will allow bi-directional flow of data from existing instruments. Be sure and ask your CP vendor if it can control the RM autopilot.
Les

note SeaTalkNG is NEMA 2000 with different connectors, to help newbies from miss configuring their systems. A simple cable is all that is needed to switch between them.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks Les. The E22158 diagram shows my old GPS sensor/antenna on the buss. Worse case, I'm guessing it could still feed the ST4000 AP, even if I get a different chart plotter with its own GPS

May 20, 2016
Thanks Les. The E22158 diagram shows my old GPS sensor/antenna on the buss. Worse case, I'm guessing it could still feed the ST4000 AP, even if I get a different chart plotter with its own GPS
The issue with AP is they don’t all use the same PGN’s / commands on the 183/SeaTalk side.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have all winter to figure this out. I thought the ST4000 helm control uses the GPS antenna, but in the manual I found it looks like it uses a flux compass mounted somewhere. So I should be able to buy any map charter and forget about the Lowrance proprietary plug. I'll update the bus like Les mentioned, and tie my wind and speed all together with the E22158 . With the right charter, I might be able to use it with the wind, depth and speed sensors using an iTC-5 on the new bus. The ST4000 AH would still be separate . Have to think this thru.....

Jan 11, 2014
like it uses a flux compass mounted somewhere.
Look near the middle of the boat, close to centerline and away from any metal objects. Under the V berth and away from the anchor locker is a popular location. It is probably mounted to a vertical surface that runs athwartship. If you have an iron keel, it will be (should be) located as far from the keel as possible. It is about 3 inches or so in diameter. The installer may have placed a label near by indicating the compass was close and advising against storing any metal in the area.

Happy Hunting! :beer:

• Helpful
May 20, 2016
I have all winter to figure this out. I thought the ST4000 helm control uses the GPS antenna, but in the manual I found it looks like it uses a flux compass mounted somewhere. So I should be able to buy any map charter and forget about the Lowrance proprietary plug. I'll update the bus like Les mentioned, and tie my wind and speed all together with the E22158 . With the right charter, I might be able to use it with the wind, depth and speed sensors using an iTC-5 on the new bus. The ST4000 AH would still be separate . Have to think this thru.....
If you use the ITC5 you’ll loose the existing displays for wind&depth

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you use the ITC5 you’ll loose the existing displays for wind&depth
Yeah. That is if I decide to display that information on the new plotter and do away with them. Truth be told, I like the existing displays