lowrance LMS 525c DF sd card charts, or down-loadable???

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I know the 525c is an old unit (by modern standards) but I am wondering if the software/SD card can be updated for it, or if chart software is still being produced for it?...
I have the SD card "USA West" V0120, and it shows nav aids but no spot soundings. I was hoping to get the spot soundings on my screen.
I have the option turned on in the unit itself, but still no spot soundings.

I have been a dedicated garmin fan for years, so im not too familier with lowrance, but the boat I just bought has the n2k system thruout, with all lowrance components, so im trying to figure it all out.

and one more question.... with all the free open source information available online, can any of it be downloaded to a card to be used in the lowrance gps/sounder units?

thanks for any information you may have to offer...

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
This is a question for Navico-Lowrance regarding the OS software, and the folks who produced your existing charting. My guess, being a Navico (Simrad) system owner - Navico-Lowrance has dropped software support like an ex girlfriend...and you will need to buy a new card for your charting (if it is available). They rarely support hardware past 5 years. Call Lowrance, the Navico websites are awful for finding useful info, and often incorrect.800-628-4487

Mar 20, 2012
This is a question for Navico-Lowrance regarding the OS software, and the folks who produced your existing charting. My guess, being a Navico (Simrad) system owner - Navico-Lowrance has dropped software support like an ex girlfriend...and you will need to buy a new card for your charting (if it is available). They rarely support hardware past 5 years. Call Lowrance, the Navico websites are awful for finding useful info, and often incorrect.800-628-4487
Thank Gunni, I appreciate the information and it is kind of like I expected... I did find out today from the marine electronics store that this unit used the "insight genesis" software that is no longer available from lowrance... the guy said that it may be possible to find some old stock or used cards if I look hard, and it may even be possible to download to a card and use some of the open source data on it but he wasnt sure... I was kind of hoping someone has played more with the open source to see if it works on anything other than smart phones and computers.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That's a clue Centerline...Insight is the embedded charting on Navico chartplotters, it is a C-Map product. You may also be able to run older charting from Navionics and NV. Your aging device OS could create obstacles to updating charting.

Mar 20, 2012
That's a clue Centerline...Insight is the embedded charting on Navico chartplotters, it is a C-Map product. You may also be able to run older charting from Navionics and NV. Your aging device OS could create obstacles to updating charting.
concerning the Genesis mapping software that lowrance no longer supports, there is some good news.... Navionics, which is a second party company that lowrance uses to obtain their software DOES support it. both the Navionics gold and silver lines are compatible with Genesis, but the Genesis system is only capable of a maximum of 2gig cards, so more cards may be necessary for the same area when used in the Genesis system.