Lowering and raising mast on a catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christos

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the great postings and information in the past!! A few question. I am planning on lowering the mast this weekend and replacing the windex, adding a spinnaker halyard and replacing the mast head light. I have never done this before. I have read some good amount of info and recommendations on how to lower the mast but can anyone tell me if this can be done while the boat is in the water at her slip? The other question is after I am done and raise the mast how do I set the shrouds? What tension and using what tools? Can anyone help? If you are in the Annapolis area maybe you can meet me at Whitehall Yacht yard and give me a hand :) Thanks Christos

R

Randy Kolb

Yes

We raise and lower our mast in the water. I prefer it that way because with our fixed keel 22 the deck is about 8 feet off the ground when the boat is on the trailer. The North Sails web site has a good rig tuning guide for C22s. I put the link below. We use the main sheet assembly to help lower and raise the mast. You'll need two people minimum. One to control the mainsheet and one to guide the mast down so it goes back straight. I'm sure someone here can point you to a web site with photos showing how to do it. Randy

T

Ted

Better if in the water

because the boat is fairly level vs. on the launching ramp. The mast will tend to stay where it is, so long as there is not too much rake. I have found it is much easier to single-handed raise and lower the mast with the boat in the water. Regards, Ted

L

Larry

In the water, tied to a pier

I try keep my c22 on a mooring all summer, pulling it out quickly when a storm threatens. I have a roller furling genoa, which makes raising and lowering the mast either more involved or heavier (if chose to lower it with the jenny still on). I prefer to be in the water, tied up in a dock, when I'm either raising or lowering the mast. I feel more secure than doing it at the mooring, even though this often means having to work quickly if I'm at a public ramp and others might be waiting to get in or out.

Status
Not open for further replies.