Lower shrouds

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hey gang - I hope all of you are off to a good start to the New Year!

I am going to replace my shrouds. Currently they are different gauges of wire, and most likely original (1972). Plus, I can't get the shrouds to the proper tension. They are too loose when completely tightened. The shrouds that I need help with are the lower shrouds. The existing shrouds are a mixed bag, with different wire gauges, different size turnbuckles. There is even a difference in length on the port and starboard lowers. Nuts. All the other forward/back/uppers shrouds I can replace easily. For the lower shrouds, I know I should replace the spreader bars and brackets, but I don't want to tackle installing them at this point. It looks very difficult to get that compression post to line up inside the mast between the spreader bars.

I'm looking for a way to connect the new shrouds to the older spreader bracket. The existing shrouds have been swaged directly thru the spreader bracket. I'll need to a saw to remove them. The new shrouds (1/8 inch) have a swaged eye on one end and the turnbuckle on the other end. I am thinking about installing the lower shrouds with shackles to the spreader brackets. I'm not sure how else to attach the shroud to the spreader bracket. I want to keep the shackle size as small as possible:
4mm - breaking strength ~300 lbs with a working load of ~1200lbs
5mm - breaking strength ~550 lbs with a working load of ~2200lbs

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Kevin

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Some pictures would be helpful. If I understand correctly, your new shrouds have swaged eyes, designed to slide between the double tang on a spreader fitting like the new ones at CatalinaDirect. But your current fittings have a single tang, designed for a fork fitting (that would slide over that single tang).

You might be able to add a double fork (one fork over your swaged eye, and the other over the mast tang), at the cost of ~1.5" of extra length (and reduced turnbuckle travel). I think the redesigned spreader fittings are highly recommended, but double clevis forks might work for you until you're ready to make that change.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Its a little extra work and expense: but I whole heartedly endorse the Hayn Hi-Mod compression fittings. Added bonus you can re-use the fittings should you need to, and with the compression eyes and toggles I can completely rig and de-rig the original '73 masthead / spreaders with simple cotter rings:

Details from my attempts here:

Tale of the tape: Let the rigging begin:

IMG_2531.jpgIMG_2529.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Honestly IMHO do it right and do it once. You should just bite the bullet on the spreader upgrade and install the premade cables the way they are intended. Your already stepping up the wire to 1/8 (now standard) from the original 3/16 wires anyway which means your brackets will see a greater load. The Lower shrouds don't need much tension when the mast is rigged but if they don't keep the mast in column when sailing it will fold right at the brackets. Likewise when (not if) your cast brackets fail you'll again fold the mast at the spreaders since that will be the weak point. If your determined to do it on the cheep then don't use premade cables and just swage them on yourself the way they were originally. A shackle, toggle, or other such device will work I am sure but it will also lengthen your stays a bit leaving you no better off than where you are now for length and adjustment.

This is of course just one sailors opinion and its your boat so your choice.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hi All - I went ahead and did it the right way. I replaced all the shrouds, fore & back stays. All new standing rigging. I also replaced the spreader brackets and bars. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to fish the compression post up the mast between the new spreader brackets. I was happily surprised. I was also surprised to pull out two birds nests before getting a lint through the mast. Hilarious.

I was in Monterey Bay, CA for the long weekend. It was beautiful sailing and the rig performed great!

All the best,
Kevin

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Hi All - I went ahead and did it the right way. I replaced all the shrouds, fore & back stays. All new standing rigging. I also replaced the spreader brackets and bars. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to fish the compression post up the mast between the new spreader brackets. I was happily surprised. I was also surprised to pull out two birds nests before getting a lint through the mast. Hilarious.

I was in Monterey Bay, CA for the long weekend. It was beautiful sailing and the rig performed great!

All the best,
Kevin

Good choice. Its expensive for sure but being confident in the rig will make you a more confident sailor.

So now that you have sailed Monterey, When is the Channel Islands adventure? We need some pictures! Its cold and snowy in the north so I have to live vicariously though those whos water is not under 6 feet of ice.