Lower rudder bearings

HD74

Dec 27, 2016
Hunter 340 Pickwick tn
Yesterday when sailing my 1999 hunter 340 I noticed a sound which seemed to be coming from the rudder when the boat was approaching a weather helm. the Helm seems to be tight when motoring . Has anyone experienced this? I am thinking it might be the lower rudder bearing. Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Where and how too. Thanks

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
It would help to know what kind of sound. Different model boat here, but no sounds when experiencing weather helm other than the Admiral screeching as heel approaches fifteen degrees. It may be worthwhile to haul the boat and do an inspection of the rudder and bearing, or have a diver do it. Also, as weather helm increases, steering does become more difficult as the boat wants to round up due to wind pressure, a design feature.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Humming and other sounds from the rudder are not uncommon. it may be a bearing or it could be a factor of growth on the rudder, the rudder not being faired properly or a sound from the prop/prop shaft.

More detail son what type of sound, what conditions make it happen and is it repeatable or not will help.

Good luck

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
There are several lubrication points in the bellcrank linkage between the wheel and the rudder. Remove the large cover located under your feet as you stand at the helm, carefully as it is awkward in shape and has to be slid aft to remove. Turn the wheel back and forth and listen for the noise to help you pin it down. I'd use silicone spray at every joint. I had a squeak/screech sound there that I had to fix. Under the rudder post bellcrank you can see the top bearing, it might be in there. I wouldn't try to replace the bearings unless you confirm they are worn to the point of needing replacement, but if you do, here are the drawings67C.jpg

Attachments