Low Profile mattress

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
Man, my bunk is so hard. I'm a big guy and I'm actually getting bruises on my hips from hips from side sleeping.

It's a rear cabin with reduced height. I tried an air mattress, but it used too much space such that it was hard to roll over at night.

I'm currently using a backpackers air mattress. Low profile, but not bad. I'm tempted to get a memory foam topper. Any recommendations?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I bought a Froli system when Defender had it on sale. I like it under the traditional foam mattress. It also oncreases mattress height ~ 3”..

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
High density foam, we got some 2” and 3” thick for under our settee cushions. What a surprise that it added enough thickness, so we just didn’t bother sewing covers for them just wrapped some navy sunbrella along the exposed side.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Foam is unlike a diamond, it doesn't last forever. Replace the foam with a high density or firm foam and a 2" memory foam mattress topper. Our berth is now more comfortable than the bed at home.

A under mattress ventilation system like the Froili or much less expensive Hypervent from Defender will help with condensation and moisture build up.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We had the Froli system and liked it. The ventilation was good too. Now with memory foam there's more options. But ventilation is important. Perspiration has to go somewhere.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
The most economical way is to get a standard size foam mattress and then trim it to fit. A good tool for that is an electric carving knife. Underneath install hyper vent or equivalent, it really does work

For a Vee berth the triangles cut off the bottom can be glued onto the top to make up the width, not that it applies here.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We liked the Froli setup we had on our first boat. Customizable softer/firmer anywhere on the surface and great for air circulation.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
We liked the Froli setup we had on our first boat. Customizable softer/firmer anywhere on the surface and great for air circulation.
I think I would prefer that. The memory foam might be comfortable, but if you have to move the mattress frequently for access to various compartments, that heavy stuff is a real PIA to move around. I've found it to be unworkable on my boat. I had a single size memory foam on our Starwind, but i was able to roll it up compactly and stuff it behind a cushion in the salon when not in use. Without a good way to store it out of the way or permanently leave it in place, I think it is very difficult to live with.