Low oil On way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Todd johnson

My M25 seems to run fine and the oil presure is fine when I motor out of Santa Cruz Harbor, 15 to 30 min.s. But when I return, after a few hours of sailing, and the boat is at an idle, the low presure alarm and light comes on. I have checked the oil level and it is fine and I have let the boat run for more than an hour in the slip and tried to get the presure alarm to go on by idling the eng,, but no luck, works fine. I believe I’m runing 10-30 or 10-40 disal grade motor oil. Any thoughts???

M

mike i

Oil Pressure

I think if I were having the same problem, I would hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I could tell just how much oil pressure I have and not depend on a pressure switch/alarm for info. It should be relatively simple to hook one up to the engine. I would place a tee fitting in place of the pressure switch and attach a guage and the switch to the engine. Then I would have an idea what's happening and when.

G

Gordon Torresen

Low Oil Pressure

It sounds like you are destined to sail away and never return. I can not visualize sensible correlation between your low oil pressure and the return trip. That the oil pressure alarm sounds and the light comes on is reason enough to do some checking. Low oil pressure is a sign that something within the engine is going wrong. I would start by getting a remote gauge that you can screw into one of the oil gallery holes. This will tell you what the actual pressure is. I hope you find that something is wrong with the switch that makes the alarm sound. If the pressure is truly low, be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.