Low Cost Instrument Pod Alternatives?

Jul 14, 2014
Beneteau Oceanus 390 Puerto Vallarta
I'm trying to figure out a way to install an instrument pod for my pedestal, but the $400-$500+ for a piece of fiberglass is really giving me heartburn.
Anyone have any thoughts on low cost alternatives for mounting instruments at the steering position?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
You could always make "pods" out of wood - either teak or ipe put a nice oil finish on them, or do plywood and cover with fiberglass - and autopaint.

Jul 14, 2014
I like that table - perhaps that's a good solution. I have a big piece of Starboard that a generous person donated to the cause.
The plywood/fiberglass solution is also a good idea. Still thinking!

Jul 14, 2014
I've finally done it.... ditched the chart plotter that is. Now using an iPad full time with a clean rail mount for the helm.
I've got that working as well, and was able to create a low-cost AIS receiver using a Raspberry Pi, a couple of additional parts, and software from the OpenPlotter project (http://www.sailoog.com/en/openplotter). The biggest issue for me is Autohelm. The previous owner, for reasons known only to himself, mounted the Autohelm control on the side of the companionway. I guess he was one of those skippers who liked to sit in the companionway under the dodger and control the boat from there. Stepping around the big wheel to get to the autopilot is downright dangerous, so, it needs to move.

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
I would strongly recommend a wireless remote for your auto helm. Game changer right there!

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I will be making my Maine Sail version of the chartplotter pedestal guard mount. I like the fact I can adjust, unplug and remove easily. Navpod should be ashamed to charge $500 for a fibererglass box. But sailors keep buying them.....oh well!. A fricken box shouldn't cost almost as much as what you put in it! Heck, I bought a complete Force 5 boat and trailer for less than Navpod wants for a stinking tiny box!

May 20, 2016
hate to tell you but navpods are not fiberglass.... They are an ABS plastic. Still expensive, but I really like the look.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
hate to tell you but navpods are not fiberglass.... They are an ABS plastic. Still expensive, but I really like the look.
Shows you what I know about them ;) ABS is even less expensive than laying up fiberglass/gelcoat. I am surprised China hasn't cloned these yet and sell them for under $50.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You need special tools and a lot of initiative to get an instrument out of a navpod. They bolt closed with a proprietary hex key. As compared to 30 seconds and a pair of side cutters to remove a bare-mounted MFD.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
If the thieves want it....they will get it.

May 20, 2016
If the thieves want it....they will get it.
Agreed but l always cable lock my laptop. For a thief there are enough laptops without locks, or MFDs easily removed; mine is a lessor target

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
for less than the cost of a $500 navpod, you can buy a sheet of ABS and you can build your own... and have lots of material left over for cup holders, binoc holders, accy shelving and many other useful but expensive items... 1/4 or 3/8 material and some #6x1 or 1.25" stainless screws... the ABS works, cuts and sands similar to soft wood.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
With my new garmin chartplotter it said to mount at least 10 inches away from compass

Jul 7, 2009
Beneteau First 405 Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Purchased the largest navpod I could find for 100 box on ebay. Added a new 1/4" kingboard face and recut for my instruments. Works for me
image.jpeg