Low Cost Crimper

Mar 26, 2017
Irwin 38 Palacios
Does anyone here know of a low cost Crimper, preferably Hydrolic, for swagging swagged on fittings for the larger sized rigging wires? ( 5/16 7/16 1/2 9/16) all the ones I am finding see pretty expensive to me...

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Does anyone here know of a low cost Crimper, preferably Hydrolic, for swagging swagged on fittings for the larger sized rigging wires? ( 5/16 7/16 1/2 9/16) all the ones I am finding see pretty expensive to me...
They are called roll-swaging machines and any good rigging shop will have one.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Rigging is one job I wouldn't skimp (crimp) on. A failure would be catastrophic

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
swagging swagged on fittings for the larger sized rigging wires
You have larger sized rigging because the mast is more substantial and the stresses on the rigging are great. Hand Swagging these critical wires would be like choosing to drive your car with out brakes. Great if you are in the Walmart parking lot at 2AM cruising. Insane if you are driving one of the hill country roads between Sisterdale to Luckenbuch.

If you are going to do your own rigging, have a shop swage the fittings on for you. http://riggingonly.com/ is one mail order source. Your local rigging shop can also help charging a nominal fee for the service.

Just remember the winds of that hurricane that swept through your hometown last summer. Your fittings have to hold the mast in place while the telephone poles around you are splitting in two.
Good Luck.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If I was DIY'ing rigging, I'd go that route before I'd by a cheap swag(e?) tool

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Waandderer
You will find that the Hayn Hi-Mod are more expensive that a swag fitting.

If you lose a wire the Hayn Hi-Mod fitting can be reused on a new wire.

Consider Swage Tops and Hayn Hi-Mods bottoms. One of the issues with wire rigging is that water gets into the swage fitting and the wire rusts as the water sits in the fitting. With the opening on the top fitting looking downward water cannot sit in the fitting. I found it to be the best of both worlds for my boat.