Lovin the Restore

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
Been at for a while and have done a lot to "Udershe" our 25.5 Hunter, painting now and should be good to go ! Started with a boat that had been in the water for 10 years and no maintenance. This was how we received her, acquired from an older couple whose age and health prevented them from sailing any longer, hence the condition, couldn't find a trailer to move her out of a slip which was expiring soon. So we built one in 4 days from a picture online which showed top and side view only, turned out well and trailered good
IMG_20200717_101443073_HDR.jpg

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
........couldn't find a trailer to move her out of a slip which was expiring soon. So we built one in 4 days from a picture online............
Now that is a great testimonal on building your own tandem keel sailboat trailer!!.................you must have welding skils. Looks like the bottom and keel will some work but I am sure you have a plan.

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
Pictures before were fresh outta the lake and just powerwashed to get the Zebra Mussels of and Mast down, haver er in the shop now and am finishing er up, have sanded and repair the hull from all dents, dings and scratches, and have done much to the cabin inside as well. Before picture of dining area before and after, all cushions recovered now but not in place due to some small items remaining and don't want to damage them.

Attachments

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
SF Bay, I reached out once before and you responded with good advice, I think I was asking about stepping the mast, well I have pretty well designed and built a lot of items to accommodate that task as well, have modified the trailer some as well at the winch stand and have mounted items which will help in the stepping. Baby Stay Brackets to stabilize the mast while stepping, 1st pic is in stowed position, of course one each side, 2nd is in process position for attachment of straps to bracket which clamps to mast (at about 7' from base 3rd pic, which also has a crutch to replace rollered standard to elevate mast before stepping). Gin Pole and Roller Standard which fits onto transom for transport and for stepping.

Attachments

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
And you've got some serious stainless steel machining skills too!!
Picture used to build trailer, not much but has turned out pretty nice now with paint job and mods to winch Bracket, have added an electric winch with remote to aid in stepping the mast, have also done the vanity top as well in cedar.

Attachments

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I know that boat. That is on Canyon Lake. I used to be a member of LCYC, Sailed a Hunter 25.5 but not that one. Nice job!

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
That is incredible workmanship! Does the gin pole attachment to the bracket that holds it on the mast allow it to swivel up and down with respect to the mast? Having it that way may make it easier to rig the pole, as you can let it lay on the foredeck while you attach the halyard and then pull it up to the appropriate angle.

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
That is incredible workmanship! Does the gin pole attachment to the bracket that holds it on the mast allow it to swivel up and down with respect to the mast? Having it that way may make it easier to rig the pole, as you can let it lay on the foredeck while you attach the halyard and then pull it up to the appropriate angle.
Actually No, it attaches the same as the baby stay bracket, you hook your halyard and winch lines to the Gin Pole then it clamps to the mast bout 6" up from base, picture attached Isak, JG is showing how it attaches here, while I photo and Sassy observes! Toolless tightening with handles not bolts, aluminum is tapped.

Attachments

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
I know that boat. That is on Canyon Lake. I used to be a member of LCYC, Sailed a Hunter 25.5 but not that one. Nice job!
Thanks Mark, that is where we loaded er out, she was at the LCYC for sure, once complete will be headed to Broken Bow Lake in Beavers Bend Area !