Love Texas.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Where in Texas are you? It’s a big state.
Canyon Lake. But we’ve also been down to Port A, and Clear Lake to visit a friend who I sail the Harvest Moon with. And will be sailing on Travis sometime this week. May stop at Lake Louisville to see an old buddy on the way back. Love Texas!

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Canyon Lake. But we’ve also been down to Port A,and Clear Lake to visit a friend. And will be sailing on Travis sometime this week. May stop at Lake Louisville to see an old buddy on the way back
Next time your in/near Htown I’d like to buy you an adult beverage or two, to say thanks for some of your wise counsel.

Nov 8, 2010
Next time your in/near Htown I’d like to buy you an adult beverage or two, to say thanks for some of your wise counsel.
Damn! I’m missing free drinks. Next time I am there I’ll give you a heads up, and will have to meet at Molly’s for a drink!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Some of my favorite memories from high school are from Canyon Lake. I didn't sail then. Is the wind pretty decent there? I know they have sailing clubs.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Hey- I 'm in Magnolia Beach. Just outside Port Lavaca on Lavaca/Matagorda Bay. I keep the fixin's for Dark and Stormy's here all the time ;D. Stop by

Nov 8, 2010
Some of my favorite memories from high school are from Canyon Lake. I didn't sail then. Is the wind pretty decent there? I know they have sailing clubs.
Its actually great sailing. As you know the lake is large, deep, and clear. And rare for a Texas dammed river, free of the hi-jinx (submerged forests) that make places like Lewisville a challenge.

The breeze is very reliable except in summer, and normally blows solidly out of the north or south. And as it is somewhat close to the coast, there is actually a good chance of breeze in the evening. The canyon walls make for interesting shifts and shafts that make racing fun. This pic is from this morning, you can see them develop.

IMG_0830.jpg

The strangely named LCYC is a wonderful place. Sailing only club with great grounds and docks. The membership is aging however, and getting racers and race management is getting harder. We come down several times a year to race.

IMG_0831.jpg

We've never been here in the summer but I hear its a zoo. Hot, not a lot of wind, and heat crazed Texans covering every inch of it!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
LOL I just noticed exactly where you are! You'll be easy to find!
I figured you had to mean Molly’s Pub when you said meet at Molly’s for a drink. Real easy for me to get there. Wasn’t posting it for the sunset. But, it was a nice one ten minutes before that photo.
876CF664-A6B9-44B5-9887-187708A19796.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Lived in the D/FW area for ten years. Nice people, but the weather stinks. May through September, AC a must. Nothing like getting in your car when the inside is heading towards 125 degrees and sunny every stinking day. Bitter cold short three-week winters when northers role through. Large hail stones will destroy your boat, car and house roof.

Otherwise, very pleasant spring and fall weather, with an occasional spectacular lightening show rolling through followed by flash flooding. And then there is the 40 degree temp swings in a matter of a few minutes. If you like bugs, you'll love Texas; bugs the size of a small dog. Then again, something very special about fireflies.

So glad to be back home in the PNW with pleasant summers, mild winters and a clear distinction between the four seasons. Rain...; love it or hate it with many overcast days during the winter months, about the same amount of rainfall as in Texas except there it dumps it in a matter of a few minutes, whereas here it takes weeks and months; called drizzle.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Lived in the D/FW area for ten years. Nice people, but the weather stinks. May through September, AC a must. Nothing like getting in your car when the inside is heading towards 125 degrees and sunny every stinking day. Bitter cold short three-week winters when northers role through. Large hail stones will destroy your boat, car and house roof.

Otherwise, very pleasant spring and fall weather, with an occasional spectacular lightening show rolling through followed by flash flooding. And then there is the 40 degree temp swings in a matter of a few minutes. If you like bugs, you'll love Texas; bugs the size of a small dog. Then again, something very special about fireflies.

So glad to be back home in the PNW with pleasant summers, mild winters and a clear distinction between the four seasons. Rain...; love it or hate it with many overcast days during the winter months, about the same amount of rainfall as in Texas except there it dumps it in a matter of a few minutes, whereas here it takes weeks and months; called drizzle.
Yeah, but it’s home! No winterizing your boat and playing golf in shirt sleeves In February. I’m a little further south and we even air condition the tunnels in downtown Houston. Life would be terrible around here without A/C. Drink enough alcohol and you become toxic to the bitin’ bugs.

Nov 8, 2010
My ex and I bought a First 36.7 from a dealer at Lake Lewisville in the fall some years back. Instead of bringing it up right away and parking it in a snowbank, we left it the water and came down once a month to winter sail it. Some of the best fun I’ve ever had, based at Pier 21.

she came up in the spring, but I really enjoyed that winter. Even the weeklong snow storm around the Super Bowl.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Yeah, but it’s home! No winterizing your boat and playing golf in shirt sleeves In February. I’m a little further south and we even air condition the tunnels in downtown Houston. Life would be terrible around here without A/C. Drink enough alcohol and you become toxic to the bitin’ bugs.
All depends on you. ,I live on the Texas coast, 125 miles SSW of Houston and don't have or use AC in my house or boat. Only ever had one air conditioned house in my nearly 80 years !

I will grant you the deal about the car :) But opening the windows takes care of that :D