Louisiana catboats / small trailerable daysailors

Nov 6, 2019
Marshall 15 Catboat Lafayette, LA
Have small Marshall 15 ft catboat. Live in south central Louisiana near Lafayette. Any catboats or small trailerable daysailors in area would like to get together for a day sail / picnic lunch? Know it's hot out there and the virus thing but maybe later this fall. Prien Lake Park launch (newly redone with restrooms) is great inland sailboat launch south of Lake Charles on 210 by-pass / loop. Can't believe there is a boat launch this nice in Louisiana with 6 back down ramps and all trailer parking is cement. No overhead powerlines and room enough for sailboat setup / take down and restrooms.
--------> Trailerable catboat will travel. <-------

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018
Vandestadt & McGruer Ltd. Siren 17 Choctawhatchee Bay
I looked up Prien Park in Google Maps. The boat launch and park looks wonderful! If I was closer, I'd join you.

1594393346739.png

Nov 6, 2019
Marshall 15 Catboat Lafayette, LA
That's an old picture - - - launch and area been completely redone 2019 - - - all cement back down ramps (6) - - - floating center pier - - - all cement trailer parking with painted lines - - - landscaped all around with composite board walkways - - - nice restrooms - - - next to beautiful Prien Lake Park with plenty of benches and shade trees - - - hard to believe this is in Louisiana.

Last edited:

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
you might want to check out the catboat association. they have an evets list and i'm sure t hey'd welcome some southern catboat rallys! i'd join you but it's a long haul from lake erie....

Dec 30, 2020
com pac eclipse sunset, louisiana
I’m in Lafayette waiting on an eclipse. When are you guys sailing. I would like to
take a look and if allowed sail with you when my boat comes in.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm origianally from Abbeville and have family in Lafayette, and Jenerette... I have always wanted to take my boat out in the Vermillion. We have a camp on Boston bayou so I could make that home base. I think a catboat would be ideal for those types of waters and there is some shoal areas far enough from shore where you could anchor, catch a breeze and be far enough from land that the mosquitos won't find you. I would love to hear more about your adventures there....

Dec 30, 2020
com pac eclipse sunset, louisiana
I’m out of sunset. Just took a ride to lake Prien it looks like a good place.
My father used to have a shrimp boat in Boston. I know the area. It’s a little way from the
Bay. I think the ramp in intracoastal May be better depending on your location.
There is a club at cypremort point. It’s about 1.5 hours from sunset. But looks like lake Prien
Best. But anywhere will work for me when I get my boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I’m out of sunset. Just took a ride to lake Prien it looks like a good place.
My father used to have a shrimp boat in Boston. I know the area. It’s a little way from the
Bay. I think the ramp in intracoastal May be better depending on your location.
There is a club at cypremort point. It’s about 1.5 hours from sunset. But looks like lake Prien
Best. But anywhere will work for me when I get my boat.
I have an uncle with a camp at Cypremort. His camp had a big Miller Lite sign in the living room window. He loves to tell a story of a time when two fellas on vacation from New Jersy just opened the front door of his camp, came in and sat at his bar and asked for a beer. He gave them one and then they chatted for a few hours. The two guys went to leave and asked how much they owed....

They thought they were in a bar:laugh:

Last edited: