Lost power to all my guages !

Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
I lost power to all my guages ! temp, fuel and tac. idiot lights all at once I believe, Motor still starts and runs fine. Hoping to get some ideas on things to check before I call and electrician.

Buzz Lovelace
79 Newport 30 Volvo Penta diesel MD7A

Thanks

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
Fuse or wire for the panel (most likely the accessory feed from the key switch.) Take your time and trace the wires from the key to the panel lights or instrument connections. With patience you can find the culprit your self. What type of motor/panel do you have?

Apr 18, 2009
Thanks for responding Dan,
The motor is a Volvo penta md7a, and as far as the panel, its just a strip with toggles, I have done some tracking and will continue, fortunately it hasn't stopped me from using the boat

Thanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I have done some tracking and will continue, fortunately it hasn't stopped me from using the boat
Try one of these for tracing the power supply and ground back to the source. A fraction the price of an electrician and works like a hot damn.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check the wiring harness from panel to engine. It is not uncommon for wires in the harness to get cut as the harness is routed through some turns around sharp corners. Over the years with hull flexing the harness can be damaged. If it is OK you will at least have the peace of mind that the wiring to the starter button will likely continue to work trouble free.

Feb 1, 2015
Macgregor 25 Rehobeth, MD
Could be power loss but I always double check the ground. If there is any power at all at the strip, Check the ground.

Apr 18, 2009
I am going to pokearound with the Klein tone and probe ,found it for $35 @ Amazonn
thanks for the tip

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Better off with a basic multi-meter and a bit of knowledge of circuits.