Lost at sea for 5 months...

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
No doubt you've seen this in the news...
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/how-did-2-sailors-survive-5-months-lost-sea-planning-n815031

Apparently they lost part of the mast, the engine got flooded with sea water, but they had dried provisions and a watermaker... but no decent long range communications... so they were drifting for 5 months.

Hey, at least they were still on the mothership... with dogs.

Folks... if you are crossing oceans, how about at least carrying a SPOT device.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Personally, I think it was just poor planning with poor equipment. First and foremost, They should require both girls to take a sailing course before they can sail beyond 1nm off shore period. Also, require instructor to test the girls and then, and only then alow the first trip not more then 25nm, This would solve the stupidity of some novice boater's. How many true sailors carry "1 years food supply?" Answer NONE! What does that tell ya! LOL Now let also hold them and fine them for animal cruelty. Poor dogs stuck with two wives.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
All the pictures on the news showed what appeared to be a mast, and a boom, and a sail on the boom. We are to believe that something couldn't be rigged up?
Smells like cattle excrement.

Oct 22, 2014
And what about the furling.. What a scam for making news! They should have to pay for rescue at sea.. Dumb-asses!

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Personally, I think it was just poor planning with poor equipment. ... How many true sailors carry "1 years food supply?" Answer NONE! ... also hold them and fine them for animal cruelty. ...
Friends of mine routinely stock a year's supply of food when making ocean crossings. It is mostly in the form of canned goods that get stuffed into the bilge. They don't ever plan to eat that stuff, but it is kept there just in case. Of course, they also carry an epirb, a sat phone & a few other goodies to help keep them out of trouble.

I share your concerns for the welfare of the animals. I am not sure how well they can be expected to do, eating only "dry goods" & not having a proper space for exercise for several months at a time. then again, I wonder about the health effects of only eating dry goods for several months on the women as well. The word "scurvy" comes to mind.

Another strange thing; the story says that their mast broke, but it looks to be intact. I also see what looks like a furled jib on the head stay. Something tells me that we do not have the full & complete story at this time.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Friends of mine routinely stock a year's supply of food when making ocean crossings. It is mostly in the form of canned goods that get stuffed into the bilge. They don't ever plan to eat that stuff, but it is kept there just in case. Of course, they also carry an epirb, a sat phone & a few other goodies to help keep them out of trouble.

Hi JiminPB, what size boat does your friends have?? The sailboat the girls have is small. There is no way they could carry a year's worth of food in that rat-box..lol let's add it up!
2 wives
2 Large "Male" dogs..lol
150gal fuel
Play toys for both
50 boxes of Tampex's to throw overboard..lol
125 bags of granola food
300lbs of dog-food at 2 meals a day
100 cases of water for them and the dogs
365 meals- canned and dehydrated
150 boxes of tea/coffie
1 pair of panties / shared and washed monthly
2 sets foul weather gear.
300 rolls of toilet paper
The list goes on..and on!

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes

Hi JiminPB, what size boat does your friends have?? The sailboat the girls have is small. There is no way they could carry a year's worth of food in that rat-box..lol let's add it up!
2 wives
2 Large "Male" dogs..lol
150gal fuel
Play toys for both
50 boxes of Tampex's to throw overboard..lol
125 bags of granola food
300lbs of dog-food at 2 meals a day
100 cases of water for them and the dogs
365 meals- canned and dehydrated
150 boxes of tea/coffie
1 pair of panties / shared and washed monthly
2 sets foul weather gear.
300 rolls of toilet paper
The list goes on..and on!

300 rolls of toilet paper??? What? You do not need/use a roll a day. Heck, at best, they only needed 180 rolls of TP.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I just spent the last hour or so going through Ms Appel's FB pages and in the years 07/2009 to current and I believe I counted a total of 3 times where she mentions sailing, so in eight years a mention of sailing a whole 3 times and no pictures of sailing adventures at all. I was looking to see if I could identify the boat manufacturer but there were no picture of the vessel.
https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.appel.186?lst=1424327713:100000073198414:1509384072
Me thinks that she had very limited experience and her friend had admittedly no experience, which equates to just plain stupidity on their part!

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I read a few of the stories on the web.
reportedly: the boat is around 50', a spreader broke, phone went went swimming, boat has HF radio, watermaker, solar and wind generators. Appel has sailing experience, her partner not much. much embellishment on sharks and drama.

The boat was cast adrift... maybe it will find its way back to Hawaii so they can try again!

Its good to be lucky!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I read a few of the stories on the web.
reportedly: the boat is around 50', a spreader broke, phone went went swimming, boat has HF radio, watermaker, solar and wind generators. Appel has sailing experience, her partner not much. much embellishment on sharks and drama.

The boat was cast adrift... maybe it will find its way back to Hawaii so they can try again!

Its good to be lucky!
You mean like a horse will find its way back to the corral? I think not. The Navy should have used it for target practice.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Anyone who comes across it should be able to claim it as salvage and sail it home as their own.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Given the currents in the part of the world some lucky Japanese fisherman will likely end up with it.