Loose transducer

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
My 78 Catalina 30 is on the hard and I am prepping to do the bottom. Today I will finish replacing my last two metal thru hulls with Forespar Marelon.

My issue is my old depth transducer seems to be loose with just a hint of deflection. More of a clunk noise when moving it with no visible gap. I think it was sprung when the hull was scraped at pull out. My problem is I really don't want to invest the time in pulling the thing and filling the hole. 12-1 may mean the removal of the larger but also unused speed transducer nearby and then a second repair.

Any suggestions or so I just need to bite the bullet here?

Gary

Attachments

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Look at it this way, if you put it in the water and you have a leak you'll have to haul her again - and eat the cost of a second haul.

Or it may start to leak some Monday night after a rough weekend sail. You won't know about it until you find her on the bottom in your slip the next weekend.

To me anything that can sink the boat is a priority...

Nov 7, 2012
After some consideration it looks like I will be removing both thru hulls and fixing these holes properly.

The bright side is I have to touch up the keel/ smile so have to do some minor grinding anyway. Now I just have a few extra hours work to get the bottom right for paint. I would really like it if they made thru hull blanks but I have yet to be able to locate any.

Jan 6, 2010
Garb,

I've installed transducers by caulk/epoxy inside the hull, no thru hull fitting.
You will need the proper xducer for this application, but the install is easy.
I would think Stu or Mainsail already have directions or links for doing this.

CR

Nov 7, 2012
Yup, my Garmin that type of transducer.

I pulled the old transducer and speed dodad today ground the holes and laid two coats of mat on the outside. Will plug the hole and smooth the exterior w marine tex epoxy and then make a big ugly 12-1 patch on the inside with glass.

Hope to finish thru hulls next weekend and move on to bottom paint and motor installation. Fun fun.