Loose stanchions

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Bartley

My stanchions are loose on both sides of my boat. I haven't been able to find anyone in my area who has a solution. Do the bases need replacing or can they be tightened? I would like to hear from someone with a fix. My E-Mail is RJBAR@AOL.Com

B

Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net

Jan.21, 2001 Dear Rob, I've been off cruising in Martinique for a week or so I've been remiss in replying to posts, for which I apologize. On our boat the stanchions are held in place with bolts, not screws. I was able to tighten the stanchions on my boat by getting a wrench on the nuts that hold them in place under the toe rail. This necessitated cutting small slits in the headliner in some cases in order to access the bolts. If the stanchions are loose they should be rebedded with a good quality caulk like 101 or Pl 5300( not Pl 5200 since they may need to be replaced someday and 5200 is very difficult to remove.) Make sure to draw a bead around the bolt holes. I also like to put a dab around the bolt heads as well. Further small leaks around the stanchion bolts can be fixed with Tulley's Creeping Crack Cure. If you need new stanchion bases Schaeffer makes a good four bolt design available through most chandleries. If you would like a longer discussion on this check the archives under "stanchions". Fair Winds, Brian Pickton Aboard the legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

J

Jeff Taylor

Grip tape and a tapping tool

Rob, Like you, I had the same problem on Vixen,(45f5). As Brian mentioned, is the base loose against the toe rail? Mine was the upright post. Beneteau France used a plastic bushing which deteriorated by UV rays. I first removed the METRIC bolt through the base and used a heavy rubber non skid tape that was left over from using it on the forward hatch. I then drilled the stainless with a carbide tipe bit (you'll need several) and then used several self tapping bolt to cut thread in the upright, they were removed and replaced with a stainless bolt. You could also use a tap to thread the upright post. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.