Loose Prop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Mc

Apr 7, 2012
Catalina 28 Worton Creek, MD
A friend and his wife were going for a sail on my Catalina 28. He was able to back it out of the slip but when he put her in forward, nothing. It is going in gear (he reported he could feel and hear the load on the engine). Again in reverse it would back up. Also, in forward there was no water churning or evidence of the prop turning. With the help of some neighbors he was able to pull it back to the slip and back her in.
I won't be able to get down to the boat for 5 or 6 days. Any ideas what's going on? Could it be the prop walks forward on the threads in reverse and is tighten itself and is loosening itself as it walks toward the end of the shaft when in forward?

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Its should be opposite, the prop would push forward against the tapered shaft and key way in forward, pull back in reverse. My guess is the gearbox is not engaging, he likely only thought it was.

Thats the kind of stuff that happens to me whenever I let someone use my things. Hopefully its just an adjustment problem.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack

The prop is on a tapered shaft and for the most part there on or they fall OFF

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
lack of torque bolt

I have seen may boat has no torque bolt on the engine coupling.
They rely on a tiny dimpel by a hex screw.

When the engine is moving forward the shaft is pushing against the coupling.
when the engine is moving reverse the shaft could be pulled out of the coupling.

The torque bolt goes thru the coupling and half way into the shaft.
Its usually hardened steel. Taped thread on the coupling. Clear bore half thru the shaft.
The hardened bolt uses a nut to lock in place.
Some people have wire to ensure it wont back out.

If i have time i'll post a picture.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Check your transmission linkage first. At the engine and from the cockpit, make sure it works at both ends, could be a stretched cable.

If that's OK, then get a diver.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sounds to me like the linkage is not pushing (or pulling?) the shift lever far enough. Get someone below to CAREFULLY push further on the lever when the control on the pedestal is pushed into forward. Do not get any human parts or clothing or jewelry near the coupling when you do that. Stay away from moving belts and hot exhaust parts ..

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
We had a boat hauled for winter storage and only when it was on the hard did they discover the nut and the threaded end of the shaft were gone.The propeller was just fine.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
A friend and his wife were going for a sail on my Catalina 28. He was able to back it out of the slip but when he put her in forward, nothing. It is going in gear (he reported he could feel and hear the load on the engine). Again in reverse it would back up. Also, in forward there was no water churning or evidence of the prop turning. With the help of some neighbors he was able to pull it back to the slip and back her in.
I won't be able to get down to the boat for 5 or 6 days. Any ideas what's going on? Could it be the prop walks forward on the threads in reverse and is tighten itself and is loosening itself as it walks toward the end of the shaft when in forward?
Let me guess single lever helm control. Had this happen before. Check the linkage connections on the engine. There will be one cable for throttle and one at the transmission. The transmission connection has slipped. Thats why you only get netrual and forward. Can happen with throttle cable connection too. Can happen were you can not thottle down or you can not throttle up. Should not be to hard to fix.

Nov 17, 2009
Catalina C-310 Falmouth
re:loose prop

This sounds very much like what happened to me last season. The boat (Catalina 310) would go into reverse every time but would not go into forward, unless I played with the shift lever and the throttle. The problem turned out to be the transmission. It seems that they need oil! I had never checked it and apparently neither had the yard I was paying to ready the boat. Needless to say the tranny had to be removed and rebuilt. I hope this not the case for you as it is rather expensive. Good luck!

Jul 30, 2012
Bristol 27 Boothbay, ME
I'm betting on the transmission or coupling. I'd also be ready to take a swim. If there is a lead shear pin is it possible to snag enough to back at low rpm in reverse, but roll past the pieces in forward, at higher rpm?

Jul 30, 2012
S2 7.0 Port Sanilac
I would suspect one of three things, first and easiest to check is the transmission linkage, next easiest is to either dive or get the boat out of the water to check the prop nut and what I suspect a missing or damaged prop shaft key, third and unfortunatley the most expensive is the tranny is in need of repair internally.

Jan 19, 2009
oday 22 Keyport Harbor, Raritan Bay
Prop problem

I assume you have already gone under the boat to take a look. I ran into a similar situation and found my prop covered in barnacles to the point it could not produce thrust in either direction. I simple swim with a scraper repaired the problem. After that season I spray painted the prop with a paint recommended by D&R and after a year, I had zero growth on the prop.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Prop problem

can you observe the prop shaft from inside the boat? With the engine running a visual inspection of the drive train will answer most of the questions posted so far.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
i'll bet transmission.. i just had to replace mine this spring with the same exact symptoms.. no forward.. but all the reverse i wanted..

apparently the thrust plate or bearing wears enough to keep the clutches from fully engaging when in forward.. in reverse there are no clutches.. at least thats what was explained to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.