Loose-footed Staysail

Apr 24, 2020
Hunter Cheribini 37 South Portland
Can someone explain to me the advantage of a boom on the staysail. I'm considering running the sheet to the track with stops on both ends, no boom.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
The track is too far forward for the sheet to provide the aftward force needed to give the sail the correct shape. Some other arrangement would be needed to eliminate the boom.

The other advantage of the boom is it is self tending, so when conditions are really fierce, the main is double reefed and the jib is furled, and you are single handing, it’s a doddle.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
That said I have long been thinking about rerouting that sheet along the cabin top rather than all the way down the side.

And adding roller furling.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
The staysail on a stopped track could still be self tending.... but with a loose foot you lose the ability to change sheet angle (you can't move the track fore and aft like a genoa track car).. for this reason a loose foot staysail usually has a number of clew holes to allow for some adjustment of the sheet angle - but it's a 'disconnect and reconnect' thing and not so easily done under sail.

Dec 5, 2011
Hunter 37c Scotland
I have re routed my staysail sheet along the cabin top. I put a single block on the traveller, a double on the boom end and then turning blocks on the end of the track. The sheet runs straight from the track ends through a bulls eye then a cam cleat on each side of the cabin top outboard of the small hatches. I often sail short handed in an estuary and leave long sheets back to the steering position so I can trim the staysail from far aft. I love my staysail self tending boom, and recently asked my sail maker to make me the largest staysail that would work on my rig, as it's the first sail to go up when I go out.
Angus

rugger

Jun 3, 2019
Hunter 37C Buffalo
The track is too far forward for the sheet to provide the aftward force needed to give the sail the correct shape. Some other arrangement would be needed to eliminate the boom.

The other advantage of the boom is it is self tending, so when conditions are really fierce, the main is double reefed and the jib is furled, and you are single handing, it’s a doddle.
I love the club footed staysail, however i am a little nervouse that I took off the running back stays. There was too much clutter to clean around. Everytime im in a blow Im concerened about the stres point on yhe mast.