Loong Sails--UK Limited

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
Anyone have experience with this company?
I just got a quote of $327 + $75 shipping for a new mainsail for my Cal 21.
This includes quite a lot: full battens, single reef, radial patches, leather corner, cunningham (anyone know what that means relative to a new sail?).
That price is VERY tempting.
Too good to be true?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Was reading a thread about unscrupulous interwebs sailmakers quoting really low prices for decent cloth, then shipping the sails very sub-par cloth, not the cloth advertised. The average consumer doesn't know the difference.

I'd go with a reputable loft. Penny wise, pound foolish.

I can recommend www.judyBsails.com, she reps for Hyde. She will take the time to understand your sailing style, location, and needs. My new main is constructed very well, with features that were not on the OEM Pryde sail.

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
Brian S, thanks for your very timely post.
I e-mailed Loong Sails to ask about their sailcloth, and received a very convincing reply:
Tightly woven constructions woven in the USA
by Glen Raven Mills using high tenacity fibers.
Manufactured with the same quality and consis -
tency as Sunbrella, the premier Marine fabric.
Medium-Firm stabilized finish with purpose driven
constructions engineered for durable cruising sails.
High production volumes ensures consistency
and lowers cost for a high value product line.
So I appreciate your comment that what I receive may not be that material.
I plan to ask Loong for references--some folks in the US I can call and chat with regarding their satisfaction or lack thereof with Loong Sails.
I went to the Judy B site; found it very detailed, and got a price of $598 for their lowest-cost sailcloth.
Also went to the Sailboatowners site and got a price of $704.
A loft with a good reuputation 80 miles from me quoted $974.
Bottom line: if I get some good references, I'm going to roll the $402 Loong dice.
I may even be feeling lucky and order a new jib too!
A new main and jib for the cost of a US-made main alone is SO tempting!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Glen Raven Mills is not a sailcloth manufacturer I've heard of. Sailcloth of the "consistency" of Sunbrella doesn't sound appealing to me.

I was just reading an article Judy wrote about sailcloth, and picking a sail loft. I can't remember what post it was, but it was just like this past weekend. Anyway, she talks about false economy of poor quality sailcloth. If you save money on lower quality cloth, but then the sails are stretched out in 3 years, that's false economy.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Jim,
Well the good news is a search on Glen Raven Mills shows they do have a line of sail cloth as well as many other materials. I agree with Brian on the concern of a sailmaker saying their cloth is the same consistency as Sunbrella. That and they are not mentioned in the many threads on buying new sails and sail cloth found in searches on this site.

A lot of the decision making should be based on the type of sailing you will do and your expectations. There are guys who are happy to make their sails out of blue tarps but those guys aren't going for a better sail than they now have.
Are you just missing the sail and need one to get sailing? Or is the one you have ripped to shreds? Or do you want to move from original blown out sails to new ones for better performance?
If the latter, you would benefit from taking a look at the thread at this link. http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/sail-shopping-oh-my.180348/#post-1310343

Then for more info follow the link I posted there to the long thread about the bait and switch game some sailmakers play with sail cloth material, which is the largest part of the cost of a sail.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Yes! That's the thread I was talking about, with very good info from JudyB. Thanks for finding it, Ward! :D:D:D

May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood
I had the pleasure of meeting Christopher Cole the US rep at a local regatta.
He has worked with me to pick material weight and design features I wanted. He was very thorough making sure all the measurements were correct for my boat.
I just placed the order, delivery expected in 6 or so weeks.

Jul 28, 2016
Tripp (Holby) Tripp 37 42220 New London, CT
Hi, John! This is Christopher Cole, the Loong rep. How are you? I just saw your email message about the order. Thank you!

Glen Raven Mills is a weaver who not only has its own lines of cloths but is employed to make weaves for various other companies, including sail cloth makers. Challenge Sailcloth, for example, will develop a proprietary weave ratio and pattern -- sometimes even devise a new weaving method -- but then hire a company like Glen Raven Mills to produce the actual cloth. Sunbrella is the flagship line of weaves made by Glen Raven Mills and in this case is the company's own brand. Sunbrella is made to a consistently high level of quality so that color and weave vary little to none from lot to lot. That is the sort of "consistency" to which the quote refers, and achieving it can be difficult and expensive, as any interior designer will tell you. It is indeed something to crow about in the fabric industry.

The cloth I quote for John is a Challenge Sailcloth product. Loong uses cloth only from Challenge, Contender, and Dimension Polyant and does not substitute. You get what you are quoted. We used to use Bainbridge cloth, too, but their discount structure changed, and we had our bases covered by the others, anyway.

I understand the concerns that some people have about ordering from a Hong Kong sail maker. But the deals are not too good to be true. They are real. You may already be considering buying from the same sail maker but at North American prices through a North American company posing as a "sail maker." Below I will give you the inside story -- up to a point -- and you can decide for yourselves.

Most sails these days are made overseas. A particular and quite huge sail making company in China makes the sails for certain "sail makers" whose names you would know, some of whom seem to claim to make their sails in North America. But they don't, unless you consider sewing a brand label onto a pre-made sail to be the key and defining step in sail making.

I cannot disclose the name of this company, but I can tell you that it has state-of-the-art design and production equipment and is growing fast. Loong Sails is closely affiliated with this company, has its HQ in the same block, and its management is at the lofts almost as routinely as the loft management itself, to the point that they think of the lofts as their own.

Bill V

Jan 22, 2017
Lotus 9.2 Tauranga
Hi Jim. I have just purchased and received a new mainsail and genoa for our 30ft Keeler from Loong Sails. I dealt with Michael the CEO in London UK. I am very impressed with Michael and his company, the communication was excellent from my initial contact through to confirmation the sails were in transit. Their online measurement drawings were a great help and with some discussion around stretch etc, we agreed on the measurement, slide dimensions, batten lengths and so on. The sails arrived last week, were fitted to the boat Saturday morning and we were sailing by late morning. All measurements were perfect and the sails set really well. I am really impressed with the whole process and could not be happier!! The quality of workmanship is superb and the sails look comparable to anything I have seen locally. The choice is yours, however I would strongly recommend Loong Sails if the opportunity arises.

Last edited:

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
I purchased main and jib from Chris at Loong Sails for my O'Day 25. Extremely pleased, look great, boat sails much better. Just purchased a Hunter 280 and ordering a main and jib from Chris right now. Highly recommended.