lookng at used cal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I have had a series of misfortunes with my current Mac25 sailboat, and t will cost me much more to fix it than to buy another sailboat... I came across a Cal 27 mark III sailboat, with a cradle, but no trailer... the owner of it is willing to sell or trade it to me... it looks to be in good condition... I am going to take a closer inspection of it with my buddy/racing captain today.... he thinks I will be much better in this boat , than spending all kinds of money fixing up my old boat...

I guess what I am asking is opinions and advice on this Cal 27 mark III sailboat... what are the good and bad issues with it ?.. I have never been on a Cal sailboat before...

sincerely
Jess

Attachments

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

my friend and I went an seen the cal 27 mark III today... it is beautiful inside and out... it needs a cleaning and a few minor issues to be taken care of, but very beautiful... I will need to find a trailer for it later... it has almost new sails and spinnaker... it needs the ropes replaced, but I have new ropes already for it... I will have to hire a crane to off load it from the cradle to the docks, but I was told for $300 it can be done... it has new bottom paint and striping on the hull...

I am hoping to talk to someone who has a cal 27 about its good points and bad points...

sincerely
Jess

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Question: why a trailer? Why not keep it in the slip during the season and store it on the cradle in the boat yard during the winter. My recollection of the Cal 27 is that it would not be a boat to trailer launch on a regular basis. The mast and rigger are not designed to be easily raised and lowered like on your current boat. That said, Cal has a reputation as a good production boat builder back in the day and they sail very well. If its in good shape, you will have a great boat.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
This is a great boat. My first boat was a cal (cal 34 III). Was the most balanced well sailing boat! You will love the boat. Screw the trailer.... Keep her in the water and sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.