looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I am looking at a 1976 O'Day 25 cb sailboat.... I am looking for information or opinions about the boat and how well it sails ?... the sailboat needs some work, but is sail ready.... it needs all running rigging replaced, and bottom paint.... the cabin is in ok shape... the previous owner painted all the woodwork white... the sails are in good condition... no motor or trailer for it.... there are a couple of places on the hull that shows some rubbing and scrapes, but just surface damage... over all it seems like a good boat, but I would like the opinion of some boat owners who own this model.... I am looking to personal experience about this model of boat....

sincerely
Jess

Erieau

Apr 3, 2009
Oday 25 Erieau
Well, opinions will be biased because those who own them tend to love them, but...
I paid 5k with motor and trailer.
It took another 2k (so far) to fix up what seemed "minor cosmetics" and to make it the way I want it.
My bulkheads had to be replaced at great effort (would have been great expense if I'd not done it myself) due to water intrusion at the chain plate entries. This is a common theme with this model. Bring along an awl and press steadily into the plywood bulkhead next to the chainplate. If it's soft, don't sail like that. I dismasted thanks to bulkhead rot.
Also poke at the bulkheads at the floor. If they're soft there, water stood in the cabin.
Lift the floorboard and poke at the bottom of the compression post.
None of these deficiencies are deal-killers, but they are "work" to fix and should lower your offer accordingly.
It's been great fun making the 25 just the way I want it, and the size is perfect for us. Big enough to weekend on and keep in a slip, small enough to trailer to my yard for the winter to conveniently work on.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
To piggy back on what Joe said, check your bulkheads and then check them again. I also swapped mine out and have a brand new centerboard hoping to get installed in a couple weeks or possibly in the spring. With the board stuck up, she sailed with lee helm, which is not all that fun. Once I got the board unstuck and down, I leave it down now, she sails pretty good. So once I get the CB swapped out she should sail even better as my current one is a bit battered and swollen and that whole foil shape is not the best.

You are not going to set any speed records but they have decent room and are nice boat to go sailing in. I like mine a lot and have had some great times on it.

Oh yeah, check the deck too. Mine was all rotty under the mast so I fixed that with a spring recore job. I had a couple little leaks at some spots along the toe rail too. Rebedded them and all good. Remember, these boats are not spring chickens but, they are far from dead too. So having some "issues" is going to be normal.

How old are the sails? Mine were original and have been replaced too.

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I have an 1978 O'Day 25. The transom was rotten and I replaced that with 3 layers of 1/4 inch marine plywood. This was a very dirty job and would have been expensive had I not done the work myself. Materials were around $500. I too had rotten core under the mast step. I replaced a 3 by 4 ft area with 3/8" end grain balsa and covered up my lack of finishing skills with Treadmaster. My decks and the cockpit are solid, no problems there. Old boats are going to need work.

Ritdog

Jul 18, 2011
Oday 25 Portland, ME
Concur with everybody above- wife and I got a 25 for $3K with the trailer and motor, and put about $2K into it, rehabbing everything- we pulled all the deck hardware, cleaned out and epoxied all the holes, cleaned it out top to bottom ( blew out all the overhead with compressed air, and mold-washed the bilge/ under-cabin floor 3 times) - took 6 months. LOTS of work, but SO satisfying to get into the water. Sailed well, good weather helm. Comfortable for two people WELL aquainted, or married....Last summer was the best of my life.
Had to do a transom job ala Svchickadee above - that WAS the nastiest thing I've ever done, start to finish, but it's rock solid now. Buy every tool you can think of, an air compressor is a BIG help for cleaning, dusting, and can run the impact wrench that willl be handy too. "This Old Boat" by Don Casey is a necessity- covers everything you need to know. If you are sanding/grinding fiberglass, I recommend a lint roller for your exposed body parts (I wore just shorts most of thetime, so imagine that!), then a shower, then a roller session after. Gets most of it off. Get a canister respirator if nothing else..... Bunny suit, Ear protectors, goggles, nitrile gloves.
I lost THAT boat in a divorce in April, but just bought another one, am working on it, and hope to splash it in May!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Mine is an 80 and luckily had no core or bulkhead damage. the rub rail was damaged in spots and it turned out the hull deck joint was leaking due to loose rub rail screws. I was told this was common in the older O'days so I pulled off all the rub rail, filled the screw holes with thickened epoxy, backed out the joint screws and covered with 4200 and tightened them back up. New rub rail and no more leaks. I did replace the chain plates and standing rigging due to the plates and some fittings being bent but that was more my choice.

My sails are original but will last another couple of years with my style of sailing (relaxed).

We find the 25 easy to sail. We like winds around 10 but have been out in 18 to 20 with no real issues. One reef in main and jib furled to about 75%.
When winds are light we enjoy just floating along but we do keep moving.

I paid $3800 for mine and that was with a 10 yr old Yamaha T9.9.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
I spent a year and a half rebuilding mine. Spent a lot of money on the rebuild but I got just like I want it. New hull liner, new main bulkheads, tore out the mid vanity, the table, the port slideout bed, new and better steps, new wiring and power center, charger, new trailer winch and tongue jack, sandblasted bottom and epoxy paint barrier coat, new outboard, new Idasailor rudder, running rigging led back to cockpit, 4 new winches, new sails, internal halyards, internal reefing and outhaul in the boom, new running rigging, all new teak, new traveler, new radio, new instruments and compass. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I probably put more into it than what it's worth but I'm not a cruiser, just a day sailor with an occasional overnighter and the boat suits the area I sail in- Mouth of the Detroit River and Northwest Lake Erie. Thin water and lots of weeds. I'm sure I could find a larger boat at a good price but I wouldn't be as intimately familiar with it as I am with mine. Rebuild a boat and you'll eventually end up in every nook and cranny and get to know what' s wrong and what's not. Plus I only have an outboard to worry about and if it gives me trouble I can pick it up and have it fixed.
For a 25' trailerable boat it sails like a "big boat", is forgiving and tracks well. For my situation and my time of life it's as perfect of a boat as I've seen. It has an easily raised centerboard and not a heavy drop keel like a Catalina 25, is shoal draft- about 2 1/2'- kickup rudder and 1800# of lead in the keel. I keep it at a dock in the summer and store it on a trailer in the winter. I For the last few years I've raised and lowered the mast while the boat is in the water. I built a framework with standing headroom for the shrinkwrapped storage.

http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=1049

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
RBone, be nice to see your plans to make that frame. Like to have one for mine.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
We have a 1975 O'Day 25 at our club that's got to be the fastest 25 in the club. I sailed it up from the Cape to our club on the Taunton River years ago and noticed the speed myself. The 1975s have the centerboard pendant line cable down below mounted on a winch on the table stanchion.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thank you all for the help and advice... I didn't get it... before I could make a deal with the owner, someone else swooped in and bought it...

still looking for a boat to replace my Mac25... unless I can find what I need for my Mac25...

thanks again everyone

sincerely
Jess

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
whats your price point Jess?

Catalina 25 fin keel is available

Dec 7, 2012
hello

I am looking for a boat with a swing keel.... or with a shoal keel and swing keel combination... I like the idea of the boat sitting down low on the trailer, and not way up high....

I enjoy the trailer sailing... gong to different lakes to go sailing, and taking my boat with me, so I enjoy my time ...

my boat is my relaxation therapy away from work....

sincerely
Jess

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I'd check the O'Day 23 built after1974, preferably 1980s. I love the galley set up in the older models, bare in mind that these older up to 1973 or 1974 were built with cast iron keels. Rust was a huge problem with these boats back and it still is. Anyone who has one of these boat and is up to the challenge should not be disappointed. This problem can be corrected and has been by other owners

O'Day never built a swing keel boat. They built a keel/centerboard and the later model O'Days going into the 1980s had a more improved pivot system involving stainless steel plates,wedges, a fiber pivot pin, and 4 bolt + 2 screws to hold the board up into the keel slot. the weights in the keel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Jess, Was the ODay 25 you saw a 1976? There was one for sale, I saw it on the bulletin board at LMSA yesterday when I was there. There is also a Hunter 23 wing keel. See: http://www.lakemonroesailing.com/zephyr/sep13.pdf I can let you know if I see for sale signs down here. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple go up for sale next Spring.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thanks indysailor.... I will check into the o'day 25.... I want to stay with a 25 to 27 ft. sailboat range.... I like the size and comfort afforded in that size... I plan to camp out on the boat when I am out sailing sometimes... I am not looking for over 27 ft., as geist resivior has a size limit on sailboats.... and eagle creak has a motor size limit on all boats....

I like my Mac25, but it got damaged when the shroud fastener broke and the mast fell... I have a crack in the deck, slider top, and the mast bent and broke in half... figuring up the cost for everything, it is way more than what the boat is worth... so I have been looking a the possibility of getting another boat...

I found a nice o'day 25 in the internet, and it sold for $280... I was not fast enough to buy it... so I am still looking... I found a Bombay 27... nice boat too... strange set up for the rigging, and the boom went past the cockpit out over the water... it sold before i could try and buy it....

I will keep looking and find what I desire in time... I am in no hurry right now... sailing season is winding down now, and I have until spring to get another boat to sail...

thank you all

sincerely
Jess

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Jess, have you thought about parting out the remainder of the Mac 25?

I'd expect the keel to be worth something, at least.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I think I found the boat I plan to buy... it is a Carl Alberg design called the Kiitiwake... it is a 24 ft. long keel sailboat... needs new running rigging and a good cleaning... and I cannot go wrong with the price either...

yes... when I get the Kittiwake, I will be parting out my Mac25... I will strip it down to just the hull by the time I am finished with it... the keel and keel winch will be available for sale along with many other items from it...

thanks for all the assist on here

sincerely
Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.