• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Looking to Re-wire my Newport 33.

Aug 20, 2019
Newport Newport 33 Long Beach
Greetings All, I have recently purchased an older 1984 Newport 33 which needs a lot of love. Naturally I have already a jobs list that is as long as my arm and growing. You start one job, you discover another.... and so it goes.

One of the first bigger projects is to pull out the old 8pin wiring harness on the ignition side of the engine and replace it with a modern system. Those old 8 pin plugs are corroded and are looking a little dangerous. Recently had a starter solenoid die due to a short in the same wiring loom. It's gotta go.

I've been doing a fair amount of research in what choices to make and thought I'd ask the folks in here - do you have any good, economical suggestions for replacing that original wiring harness with something modern ?

Cheers, thanks in advance for your help !

IMG_20190710_103506-(1).jpg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to SBO!
Check out the various articles on the www.marinehowto.com web site.
Maine Sail, a member on this site, runs the site and has several good articles on sailboat wiring.
Here's a link to Maine Sail's forum section on this site. Musings With Maine Sail
A lot of good threads on sailboat wiring.
Those sites are a good place to start.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser Portland OR, moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @jimmywhale Neport 33 is a good boat.
Wiring can be a challenge with any boat. Take pictures and draw a chart of what you have and what you want to do. At least that way if you get it wired and the new structure doesn't work you can wire it back till you figure it out.