Looking to move up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2007
Catalina 310 Keuka Lake NY
Hello all, I am currently a C27 owner who keeps her moored on one of the finger lakes in upstate NY, As many get the bug to move up I to have been so bitten. Looking at the 310 and the next and final move in the quest for bigger is more comfortable. My wife and I have customized our 27 to accommodate us on the stay over weekends to include the blow up bed across the settees. (1 season trying to sleep in the 27's V birth was all I could take.) I am attracted to the 310 for 3 reasons, Larger & wider, the Pedestal bed in the V birth and of course the optional R/F main.
Is the V birth as comfortable as it looks for 2 adults? Is there any inherent issues with a R/F main?

Ted Pinelli

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ted, without know how big you and your wife may be, it is impossible to answer. a 6'-10" skipper would have a different answer than a 5'-6" one.

On a bigger boat, making up the saloon for a bed gets tiresome really quickly, since you have V berth there for use.

Many folks choose the aft cabin, too.

The ONLY way for you to know for sure is to find one and climb in! :)

Happy hunting.

PS - If you can try the V berth on a C34, largest in the industry, if you're one of those "larger" fellas.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I moved from a '77 c27 to a c310. One requirement (I thought) was standing headroom. At 6' 0" tall I didn't quite get my standing headroom (its about 5' 11"), but I love the boat. Forward berth is OK, but a little short (my opinion). We sleep with heads aft and my arm seems to hang over and get sore by morning. If you are under 5' 10" you'll love it.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Hello all, I am currently a C27 owner who keeps her moored on one of the finger lakes in upstate NY, As many get the bug to move up I to have been so bitten. Looking at the 310 and the next and final move in the quest for bigger is more comfortable. My wife and I have customized our 27 to accommodate us on the stay over weekends to include the blow up bed across the settees. (1 season trying to sleep in the 27's V birth was all I could take.) I am attracted to the 310 for 3 reasons, Larger & wider, the Pedestal bed in the V birth and of course the optional R/F main.
Is the V birth as comfortable as it looks for 2 adults? Is there any inherent issues with a R/F main?

Ted Pinelli
Make sure the bed is at least a queen size. And she has her side and you have your side. And that you can get out of bed at any time of night to go pee by not having to crawl over her waking her up! Forget the standard boat cushion crap. Go with a good quality innerspring mattress.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
My wife and I find the 310 forward berth quite comfortable. I am 6'1" and have no problems with length. Heads to aft. The aft berth is also quite roomy but the foam doesn't cut it vs the forward inner spring. Our A/C is under the forward berth and is a bit noisy, but if we leave the fan on, no problems.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I am only 5' 10" but a larger guy ( ok I'm fat) and my wife and I find the v birth on our 310 extremely comfortable. We sleep with our heads to the bow. And our dog usually sleeps on the bed too. We pretty much live on her from April to November in Hingham Mass and we find we sleep better on board then on land, especially of at a mooring or on the hook.

Good luck.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
We are both a bit on the 2X size, and yes seems like there is a dog up on the bed most nights also. We made one change, even with the mattress we added a memory foam topper. While it is a climb up now, there is no arms or hips falling asleep at night, and not a single complaint from the lady who had become a cave dweller. (the large aft cabin) It takes a King Sheet to properly cover the front, but only due to shape. We make the bed by standing to the side and rotating the entire mattress side to side, seems the angles work perfect for this and can make it all up in less than 5 min. In very, very hot weather we sleep head aft, but most time it is head forward as it makes the many trips (were old) in and out to the head less of a hassle at night.

Oct 22, 2007
Catalina 310 Keuka Lake NY
Thank you all for your replies, good information. We have begun our quest for a 310, we hope to find one somewhere here in the northeast in the next 12 months.
thanks Ted Pinelli

Status
Not open for further replies.