Looking to buy a Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2012
Hunter 170 Bobcaygeon Ontario
I need some advise from Hunter 170 owners, Im looking at purchasing a 1999 Hunter 170, but i am reading alot of hull problems aroung the 1998 models ? should i be leary about purchasing this boat ? and how can i confirm the year of the hull ? thanks

ddeand

Oct 12, 2010
Hunter 170/18 Everywhere
Hello,

You will get some responses that are more informative that mine, but I'll still share my experience when I was looking for a Hunter a couple years ago. I'm in my second year with a Hunter 170/18. When I was looking for a Hunter, I ran across a number of boats that had cracked and a bunch that had no problems whatsoever - the ratio was about 50-50. I really didn't want to take the chance that I might have to do some repairs, so I started to look for Hunter 170s that had the hull replaced with the new 18 foot fiberglass model. Since the newer Hunter 18 was not fully in production, I couldn't really look at those, but they had begun doing warranty replacements with the new fiberglass hull. I had to look hard (around the whole country), but I found one that I could afford that had the new hull and the old 170 sails and rigging. I sailed that last year and had a blast with it. This year, I ordered a Hunter 18 sail and boom for the boat. This has worked for me quite nicely.

I think you'll fine quite a few 170s for sale since they were pretty popular, but you'll likely have to be prepared for the possibility of cracking - at least that's what I gathered from my research. And to be honest, if I hadn't found the boat that I bought, I might have opted for a Precision or maybe a Vanguard Nomad. I am extremely lucky to have found what I wanted, though.

Good luck!

Dean

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Hunter 170 cracks

To identify the year, look at the hull number stamped into the rear starboard (right) side of the hull. The last two digits are the year it was built. I've seen 98-2002 models with cracks so don't exclude just the 98 models.

I owned a 99 model Hunter 170 that was well used/abused when we bought it. There were a few minor cracks that had previously been repaired and a few that developed after we owned it a while. While the cracks are not hard to fix, they certainly detract and effect resale value.

Look the boat over in bright daylight or bring a really good flashlight. Some cracks are barely visible while others can be 1/4" wide!

Negotiate your final price based on the particular boat, any cracks you find. Boats stored indoors tend to have less issues with cracking. Good luck, the Hunter 170 is a fun boat!

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
Wreck of '98

"should i be leary about purchasing this boat?"

I certainly would! I call my Hunter 170 the wreck of '98. It is a '98 and has had cracking issues as soon as I bought it. After having had it for several years, I discovered that a previous owner had problems as well. I have discovered, in making my own repairs, that there have been several repairs made to it before my purchase. Each year I find new problems and spend part of the spring sanding, glueing and painting. It's a great little sailing boat and in my opinion, worth the trouble, but I would love to have a hull that I could sail without having to rebuild.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Many cracks were due to manufacture of the skin in many cases with the manufacturer changing formulas without permission. That is one cause. Sometimes if the screw holes were not predrilled, that could be another issue. If you see one without any cracks, then that should be ok.

I did repair many which is one reason why I know that boat and was delighted when Hunter went to fiberglass dropping the ACP. In fact on the 170, there were 16 suggestions of mine incorporated which help to sell the boat butr I wan not a big fan of the plastic boats. However, I also many cracks caused by the owner without accepting liability on his part.

Crazy dave condon

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I like the 170 and like Crazy Dave, I'm not a fan of the ACP hull. It's not hard to fix, just frustrating that cracks appear for no reason!

I'd like to see Hunter offer a special price on replacement hulls made of fiberglass of course. I've emailed them twice and received no response. Guess a phone call is in order next?

A boat builder with well known issues like the ACP cracks ought to be more proactive and have a link on its website about it and respond to requests for pricing.

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
With Hunter in chapter 11 I expect that they have other priorities on their mind right now. How the new owners (Marlow Yachts) will approach the faulty ACP hull problem is yet to be seen.
I have to say that I was very glad that the fibreglass hulls for the H15 were just released when I put my order in. Although after I saw the new H18 hull, I wished I had waited a few more months and bought one of those. They are very nice looking boats. Love to hear a comparison from those that have sailed both.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Good to hear that Hunter is moving forward rather than going under like so many legacy boat builders.

Nov 5, 2012
Catalina 36 Mumbai
There have been quite a few issues with this boat. As you say the hull is not that great. You may need to do some extensive repairs if it has not been well maintained. Get a good look at it and decide accordingly.

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
I still love mine despite the repairs. I'm trying to determine if I spend more time working on my plastic 170 than I would on an equivalent fiberglass/gelcoat boat. Several of the repairs could have been required on either technology.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
txjim said:
I still love mine despite the repairs. I'm trying to determine if I spend more time working on my plastic 170 than I would on an equivalent fiberglass/gelcoat boat. Several of the repairs could have been required on either technology.
Fiberglass hulls simply do not split open like the ACP hulls. The failures I've seen in photos and personally experienced were enough to steer me away from another ACP Hunter. I too love how the 170 sails, it's gas great ergonomics. I'd probably looks for a newer 180 hull if I wanted another daysailer.

I never heard back from Hunter when I inquired about a replacement hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.