Looking to buy a Catalina 310

Nov 4, 2023
Nonsuch 22 Maple Bay
Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I currently sail a Nonsuch 22 and am looking to buy a Catalina 310. I'm in Maple Bay on VANCOUVER ISLAND in British Columbia. A boat already on the west coast would be preferred. If you're thinking of selling your 310, please reach out. Thanks.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There is such a thing as a buyers broker. That relationship works best, like in OP's case, when the buyer knows what he wants.
You may wonder why you would pay someone for what you can do. I probably would too. But they can facilitate finding a boat, negotiating the right price, surveying and transportation. Generally, they split the commission with the seller's broker which means they are not totally working for you. But they have their value.

Nov 4, 2023
Nonsuch 22 Maple Bay
There is such a thing as a buyers broker. That relationship works best, like in OP's case, when the buyer knows what he wants.
You may wonder why you would pay someone for what you can do. I probably would too. But they can facilitate finding a boat, negotiating the right price, surveying and transportation. Generally, they split the commission with the seller's broker which means they are not totally working for you. But they have their value.
Thanks very much. I'm aware of buyers' brokers. I thought I might find someone on this forum who has decided to sell his boat but has not yet listed it, in which case a broker wouldn't find it.

Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
Thanks very much. I'm aware of buyers' brokers. I thought I might find someone on this forum who has decided to sell his boat but has not yet listed it, in which case a broker wouldn't find it.
That is how we found our 310, hull #73.
My wife and I were looking for a boat that size range. I was familiar basically with the 310, having crawled around a new one at a boat show in the early 2000's, but my wife had never seen one. None listed for sale near us, but I wanted her to get aboard one to get a feel for the layout before shelling out the bucks. I posted on this forum, looking for one near us she could just go look at.
We got a reply from the previous owners, not close by but a 4-5 hour drive, saying they would be happy to take us out on theirs if we were in the area. And by the way, they had just decided to sell and move up to a larger boat, but hadn't listed it yet.
All worked out, and we purchased in 2014 and moved it north, now in Monterey, CA.

SJN

May 30, 2021
Catalina C310 Seattle
Hello! I sail the Salish Sea south of you. My Catalina 310 is not for sale. That said I am happy to talk to you about my experience with my boat. No boat is perfect, yet for how I sail the Catalina 310 is a wonderful combination of performance, safety, quality, and creature comfort.

Best wishes on your search.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Best wishes, You will love the 310, we came from a Catalina 25, the 310 is an awesome design in may ways!.
Keep us apprised!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Good luck on your search. I, too, had checked out the C310's at boat shows, and, after checking out the other brands, kept coming back to the C310. My girlfriend agreed that it was a great setup for a couple that wanted to go cruising. Finally, while looking over a C310 at a boat show, I mentioned to the dealer rep that a new boat was too expensive for me. He pulled out a binder with used boats listed, and we agreed to make an appointment to see a two year old 310. Turned out the boat had been sailed once, and the engine had 19 hours on it. I ended up with a brand new boat for a used boat price. The broker said he would have bought it if he had known the condition of the boat. Anyway, keep looking at the boat shows and talking to brokers. As you know the C310 is very much in demand. When I sold my 310 in 2022, it sold for full asking price the firsts day it was listed.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Rob, I can tell why you got asking price!, Boat looks great and is shown nicely!
I hate when you look at a boat and toilet brushes are laying around with dirty oil cans and junk in the vberth!.
Thanks. Haven't gotten any offers yet, but it's pretty crappy weather here right now, and the harbor is shoaled, so no way to do a sea trial either.