Looking to buy a Catalina 27 or 30

Mar 9, 2016
Irwin Citation 38 Madeira Beach
Would really appreciate any advice from current or past owners of either the 27 or 30. What to look for and any common faults to look out for.

Currently leaning a little more towards a 30 for the extra space, but the 27 looks pretty roomy!

Jan 6, 2010
Mike,

Small world, as my boat is very near John Pass.

Here's what I can offer. My pal & I partner-owned a 22 ft. cat. He got married & got a nice 27 ft. Cat.
When I wanted a bigger boat, I too started looking @ the 27's, Jamie said NO, buy a 30 footer.
When I asked why, he said it's 3' longer, 3 foot wider & bigger below interior space & headroom.

Guess what size I ended up with pal? Bigger is better, just ask any woman!

CR

Mar 9, 2016
Hi CR,

Thanks for your reply. Would there be any chance of having a quick look at your boat sometime as you are so close to us? Not actually been on an Catalina's yet! We live on the islands just behind Johns Pass village.

Mike

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Catalina 30's are very popular in our club. Good value. Our members love the shallow wing keels. Never cared for the sleeping arrangement though. We love our roomy aft queen and v berths.

Mar 9, 2016
I was wondering about the wing vs fin keel, have an option on a wing keel right now and as we live on the west coast of FL (shallow waters), this could be a big plus! Why do your members prefer them then?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I was wondering about the wing vs fin keel, have an option on a wing keel right now and as we live on the west coast of FL (shallow waters), this could be a big plus! Why do your members prefer them then?
Specifically for that reason. We sail on a reservoir. Lots of shallows, including our docks. Shallow draft boats have a longer season before it's too shallow in the Fall to get to the crane.
That said, a fin will probably point higher. Maybe be a little faster. Owners would know.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
The 30 is a lot more boat. Engine access is way better on the 30. But there's tons of both out there - it should be easy to tour a few.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
it's 3' longer, 3 foot wider & bigger below interior space & headroom.

Guess what size I ended up with pal? Bigger is better, just ask any woman!
3 feet wider? Try two.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I read that the 11hp diesels on them are underpowered and the boat may be under canvassed for light winds. Is this a tall rig or standard, I couldn't tell?

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Our decision was between a shoal keel (3 1/4 foot draft) Hunter 27, and a full keel (5 1/2 foot) Catalina 30. Our marina at the time said they could not guarantee entrance depth of 5 1/2 feet, so we bought the Hunter. We have chartered a Catalina 30 twice out of Anacortes, and know we would have been happy with either design.

In addition to our old marina, the deep draft 30 would keep us out of 2 of our favorite anchorages in our Lake Erie cruising grounds. With a longer water line would cruise a little faster, and the deep keel takes her 10 to 20 degrees closer to the wind. But we are equally content cruising in either boat. We think the 27 has plenty of room for 2. (6 foot cabin clearance) the only issue for the 5 times we have cruised a week with 4 is finding room for baggage.

Maintenance of the 30 will be 20% to 30% more. We have averaged around $1,200 per year over 17 years, so the 30 would have cost us a extra $300 per year. The 30 is heavier, and the load on sail lines is nearly twice as much. So it's easier to manhandle the 27 at the dock, and it's lines under sail, but we had no problem on either issue with the 30.

See the boats. Lie down in the bunks with those you want to sail with you. Make sure you have clearance for your head. Then buy the boat you and yours like!

Mar 9, 2016
Our decision was between a shoal keel (3 1/4 foot draft) Hunter 27, and a full keel (5 1/2 foot) Catalina 30. Our marina at the time said they could not guarantee entrance depth of 5 1/2 feet, so we bought the Hunter. We have chartered a Catalina 30 twice out of Anacortes, and know we would have been happy with either design.

In addition to our old marina, the deep draft 30 would keep us out of 2 of our favorite anchorages in our Lake Erie cruising grounds. With a longer water line would cruise a little faster, and the deep keel takes her 10 to 20 degrees closer to the wind. But we are equally content cruising in either boat. We think the 27 has plenty of room for 2. (6 foot cabin clearance) the only issue for the 5 times we have cruised a week with 4 is finding room for baggage.

Maintenance of the 30 will be 20% to 30% more. We have averaged around $1,200 per year over 17 years, so the 30 would have cost us a extra $300 per year. The 30 is heavier, and the load on sail lines is nearly twice as much. So it's easier to manhandle the 27 at the dock, and it's lines under sail, but we had no problem on either issue with the 30.

See the boats. Lie down in the bunks with those you want to sail with you. Make sure you have clearance for your head. Then buy the boat you and yours like!
Thanks that is very useful to read. I am concerned about the deeper draft on the Catalina, so leaning towards the shoal draft version.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Sold our 27 and moved into a 30. Both Tiller boats with fins.

Loved to sail the 27, was nice lite air and inside but was a bit more tender in swells. Had an outboard that made engine work a breeze (just swap it out).

The 30 is much roomier and the head actually has a decent sized waste holding tank and ours holds 60gallons of fresh water.

Mar 9, 2016
Sold our 27 and moved into a 30. Both Tiller boats with fins.

Loved to sail the 27, was nice lite air and inside but was a bit more tender in swells. Had an outboard that made engine work a breeze (just swap it out).

The 30 is much roomier and the head actually has a decent sized waste holding tank and ours holds 60gallons of fresh water.
Tender in swells is a very good point, I had not considered there would be that much of a difference from a 27 to a 30.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
My comments, having never owned either but been on both and sailed against them: The 30 is a WAY bigger boat! Much more room below. But I'd say the 27 sails better, especially upwind. The 27 is really an outboard boat - it's a struggle shoehorning in an inboard. I'd say if you like sailing, get the 27 with an outboard - if you like interior room, get the 30.
There's also the extra cost of a 30: more moorage, more expensive sails...

druid

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Any specific things I should be looking for? Are all the engines under the seat? Seems like an odd location and will make it difficult to work on.

Here is one I am going to see this weekend. Any comments/observations :-
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Catalina--2816163/Fort-Pierce/FL/United-States#.VucWJ_krLLt
Decent enough looking boat. Has the old crappy curved traveler.

My 30 (standard rig, fin keel) is decent in light winds - that's mostly what I sail in. In any wind, a C-30 is not a fast boat. (PHRF around 170 IIRC) They are nicely stiff.

There's a wooden block under the mast step (in the bilge) that if it rots out all kinds of bad things happen (lots of info on that problem on the net). Cracking of the deck around the mast is an indicator of this issue.

Age of standing rigging and condition of chainplates are common issues with C-30s.

The pics of that boat show the covers off the bottom of the pedestal and the access to the steering quadrant - so something was going on there. Maybe the worn rudder tube problem (the rudder gets loose, and the rudder packing leaks when motoring).

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Catalina 270 is much beamier than the old 27 and much more modern. It is smaller than than the Catalina 30.

Mar 9, 2016
Decent enough looking boat. Has the old crappy curved traveler.

My 30 (standard rig, fin keel) is decent in light winds - that's mostly what I sail in. In any wind, a C-30 is not a fast boat. (PHRF around 170 IIRC) They are nicely stiff.

There's a wooden block under the mast step (in the bilge) that if it rots out all kinds of bad things happen (lots of info on that problem on the net). Cracking of the deck around the mast is an indicator of this issue.

Age of standing rigging and condition of chainplates are common issues with C-30s.

The pics of that boat show the covers off the bottom of the pedestal and the access to the steering quadrant - so something was going on there. Maybe the worn rudder tube problem (the rudder gets loose, and the rudder packing leaks when motoring).
Is that wooden block easy to get sight of? It is the first thing I will be looking at......

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Mine is encased in fiberglass. Some werent. A good surveyor that has seen C-30's will know a good way to tell.
There's lots of writeups about the fix on the web.