Looking for words of wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

Well, I've gone and done it! I've put in an offer on an 86 tall rig! The boat has been in fresh water until 6 months ago. The boat will be surveyed shortly. I found the original equipment list from the boat and can find next to nothing that was not ordered from the factory (over 1/3 of the original price was in upgrades). The boat has 500hrs on the engine which I found hard to believe until I learned of it's lake life. So, now, I humbly call upon your many years of experience and wisdom. I've figured out what I think are most of the virtues of the 30, so tell me the vices, please. FYI, 86TR, 150% on roller, Ratheon wind, depth, speed, navico 5000 autopilot. Marine A/C. Hillerange pressure stove. Thanks in advance to my "new family" (hopefully)

C

Chip

Just buy it and sail it!

I have lived aboard my '85 SR for two years and have no real complaints, except I have to leave the boat to go to work. Just be sure to reef early to keep the weather helm in check.

R

Ron

Survey

Make sure you pull it and get a survey. Sometimes "we sailors" are so anxious to purchase our boats we do not "see" everything. It is also nice to keep the survey with the boat documentation and repair log. Cat 30's are great boats and it sounds like you have found a good one. Enjoy...

R

Roger Noble

Join the association

The best thing I did after buying our '84 C-30 was to join the Catalina 30 association, and get it's Tech Talk Manual. It has saved me hundreds of $$$, and given me a great deal of confidence in my ability to take care of her. http://www.catalina30.com/

R

Rick

Get on the email list

Join the email list here: http://members.sailnet.com/email_lists/ You can sign up for the C30 list, the "All Catalina" list, and/or the Atomic 4 list, (if that is your motor). We currently have over 300 C30 owners on the C30 list contributing helpfull answers to C30 questions. The more users that we have on the list, the more usefull the list is.

R

Robert Moretti

Little to complain about

I bought my 1985 C30 tall rig last year. After one season of sailing it on Lake Michigan, I have little to complain about. With a two-blade prop like mine has, the prop-walk effect is quite pronounced, pulling the stern to port when I try to back down. With the pier of my slip on the starboard side, this meant I had to do a lot of practice to gracefully put the boat into the slip. Backing the boat out of the slip is also tricky. There has to be considerable way being made in reverse before the boat responds to the rudder. Since I don't have a lot of room behind me when I back out, I've taken to pushing the boat in the right direction, then hopping aboard and giving it some steam. All of this sounds more difficult than it really is. It will just require some time and experience. Other owners have said that the boat is easier to hand with a three blade prop, but that will also slow it down under sail. Maybe the optimal solution is a folding 3 blade prop (?). I resisted buying a Catalina for years, but this boat sails very well and is very comfortable below. I've changed from a skeptic to a believer in one season.

J

Jerry Maisonneuve

Best boat I've had -so far!

I waited for years to afford my '84 Catalina 30. After assuring a good survey was performed, I bought it and have never regretted it. Our family looks forward to our yearly trips to the islands along the California coast. Haven't even thought of getting another! It's safe, sails well, and there's a lot of information available to assist you in maintaining it. If there is any caveat I have it is ordering parts from the Catalina factory. My last few experiences were of rudeness and incompetence. At first I thought I had diales the wrong number. But if you must obtain parts it would be a good idea to contact your nearest reseller. They're used to putting up with the factory and a few sheckels extra are well worth the effot.

Status
Not open for further replies.