Looking for the anode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2008
Oday 34 Noank, CT
While doing the winter necessities on the boat, I realized that I needed to change the anode in the engine.
The problem is that I can't find it. I have a 1983 Universal diesel with the owners manual AND a repair manual and neither say anything about it.
Can anyone help me locate it? Please feel free to butcher the image as you see fit.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
The only one I know about in this engine is in the heat exchanger.

Sep 30, 2005
Pacific Seacraft 37 Oriental, NC
If your Universal is like ours, the pencil zinc sits on the bottom port side of the heat exchanger that is clamped at the rear of the engine. When I replaced ours last month, all that was left was the plug. The pencil that is supposed to be attached to the plug was almost entirely gone.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It's

Heinz,

On the back side of your engine you should have what's called a heat exchanger, if it is a FWC motor. It will be a round cylinder either 2" or 3" in diameter and about 16" wide/long. In the bottom of it there should be a brass hex nut and this will be your zinc. If you still have the old 2" HX I'd recommend upgrading it to the newer 3" HX which cools the engine significantly better than the older 2" model did..

See Photo: (I know the HX is not on the boat and is in the wrong orientation but that is the zinc)

Your engine looks like an M-25 so check out this parts diagram for the HX.

M-25 Heat Exchanger Group (LINK)

Status
Not open for further replies.