looking for suggestions to sell my challenger

hunkel

Aug 20, 2008
I am requesting information on selling my Alden Challenger, Alliance, which hails from Marion, Mass. My intention with this posting is to firstly get the word out, in case potential Challenger buyers are reading this. Additionally, if others on this list can provide me information on facilitating the process, I would greatly appreciate it. I read the postings about the E-Bay sale. Sounded interesting, but would prefer not to go that route, unless it ultimately yielded results. Following is my research to date—all be it limited--that I thought others might be interested in, or can add to/correct.

It so happens that the 99-year old John Alden Brokerage, in Boston, just closed its doors. The former-Alden brokers are now part of East Coast Yacht Sales, in Salem MA. Nonetheless, one broker, Linda, was kind enough to share the following with me: in 06 there was a sale for 50K$, she (Tarna) had a new engine and the cock pit had been rebuilt, although it was short on electronics; Linda thought that sale was on the high end, and estimated 25-30K$ as the low end.

Considering that Alliance stands somewhere on the lower range, I contacted Mass Maritime Academy relative to making a donation. They accept donations in one of two forms. One is to sell the boat at one of their auctions, at Otis Air Force (on Cape Cod), which is held several times a year. The price at the auction is the value of your tax deduction. The other process is dependent upon them keeping the boat for training—such as how to varnish?—or racing. In this case, they keep the boat for five years, and your tax deduction is spread out over that time period. To determine the value, the owner hires--and pays for—a marine surveyor who sets the value; he or she completes IRS form 8283. Involving your accountant would, of course, be prudent.

Richard, from Whisper, suggested I contact Eastern, in Hingham MA. Also in Hingham, the former-Alden broker suggested Lawson Yachts. Any other ideas? You can contact me directly at 617-780-7777. Thanks! Jan Hunkel

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Jan, we met briefly several years ago in Edgartown. Alliance looked quite nice as I recall. I think you're wise to give this group a chance to see if there is a potential buyer out there.

I wonder if you will be checking this website often or if phone will be more reliable concerning your Challenger?

My first thought is do you have any recent photos that could be posted? Also a good listing of the boats current state, equipment, etc? I'd be glad to help any way I could.

With more of the above info, there are a few websites I would be happy to post some brief info. I'd ask around locally as well.

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2006
Tarna is now Muskrat and sold for less than that. While cosmetics were low she had a new (80 hours) Westerbeke 40 hp, all new wiring, radar,chartp-lotter, sounder, wind gauges. New fuel tanks, new plumbing-pressurized hot/cold,\ w/ washdown pump. An elderly but leakless avon w/ a new 5 hp engine. Propane stove oven by Luke with a soapstone stove.

Any way, just wanted to let you know what she came with to help with a number!

Apr 24, 2009
pearson bounty 41 rhodes bounty ii fl
hunkel said:
I am requesting information on selling my Alden Challenger, Alliance, which hails from Marion, Mass. My intention with this posting is to firstly get the word out, in case potential Challenger buyers are reading this. Additionally, if others on this list can provide me information on facilitating the process, I would greatly appreciate it. I read the postings about the E-Bay sale. Sounded interesting, but would prefer not to go that route, unless it ultimately yielded results. Following is my research to date—all be it limited--that I thought others might be interested in, or can add to/correct.

It so happens that the 99-year old John Alden Brokerage, in Boston, just closed its doors. The former-Alden brokers are now part of East Coast Yacht Sales, in Salem MA. Nonetheless, one broker, Linda, was kind enough to share the following with me: in 06 there was a sale for 50K$, she (Tarna) had a new engine and the cock pit had been rebuilt, although it was short on electronics; Linda thought that sale was on the high end, and estimated 25-30K$ as the low end.

Considering that Alliance stands somewhere on the lower range, I contacted Mass Maritime Academy relative to making a donation. They accept donations in one of two forms. One is to sell the boat at one of their auctions, at Otis Air Force (on Cape Cod), which is held several times a year. The price at the auction is the value of your tax deduction. The other process is dependent upon them keeping the boat for training—such as how to varnish?—or racing. In this case, they keep the boat for five years, and your tax deduction is spread out over that time period. To determine the value, the owner hires--and pays for—a marine surveyor who sets the value; he or she completes IRS form 8283. Involving your accountant would, of course, be prudent.

Richard, from Whisper, suggested I contact Eastern, in Hingham MA. Also in Hingham, the former-Alden broker suggested Lawson Yachts. Any other ideas? You can contact me directly at 617-780-7777. Thanks! Jan Hunkel
hi. my name is ben and looking to buy alden chalenger, please send all info. and pic`s.
ben. E.mail: bayo144@hotmail.com