Looking for suggestions for a small dinghy or kayak for occasional use

Jun 29, 2018
Catalina 30 South Beach Harbor in SF, CA
Most of our Bay sailing won't require a dinghy but would love advice on a 2- or 3-seater that would be easy to secure on deck when necessary. Thanks!

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
I'll be interested in reading how it works out. Particularly where you stow it and if your jib sheets get hung up on the pointy ends. I've got a 27' Hunter, and I can't figure out where I'd put it except to tow it.

Jun 29, 2018
My question exactly GT. I see some kayaks seem to be on racks outside the lifelines. I am unclear the impact when underway.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My plan is to tie the kayak upside down on the bow inside the stanchions. I have seen them inside and outside. I think I have enough room for the 10 footer and it will not affect the foresail. Time will tell. So far I have just had it out at home on near by rivers. It is a fun little craft with good tracking.

Jun 29, 2018
Good luck, John, and keep us posted. Thanks for taking the time to respond. B

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Recently picked up a small inflatable dinghy from WM for my H31 for the few times I want to use a dinghy. It’s a model RU250 for about $600 Price was right. Got good reviews on WM site.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've been looking at the 7'6" Saturn's for Dragonfly, but they are a little pricy for me and still big for 19' might be perfect across a stern rail or upside down on the foredeck.
Inflatable dinghies are very nice to tow also. They do less damage if they are knocked into the stern by a wave.

I think I'll build a hard dinghy just to fit my boat.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I recently purchased an inexpensive inflatable dinghy built by Bestway. It is very small, I believe 90 inches. It feels thick and durable. I inflate it to use and deflate it to store on my boat. It easily fits under the cockpit seating. It weighs 35 lbs and cost just a little over $300. So far I’ve used it 3 times and really like it. Google the brand and you will find a few different models.