Looking for Portable Generator Options

Aug 5, 2019
Hunter 34 RockHall
We have a 1984 Hunter 34 with an AC unit that is 16,700 btu. We are looking for a portable generator that will run our AC. Any suggestions?

galynd

Nov 1, 2009
Beneteau 36cc port arthur, tx
The Honda 3000 inverter generator is quiet, like the 2000, and just as reliable. Downside is it's heavier and larger. But it runs my 16,000 btu dometic ac. My honda 2200 will not.

galynd

Nov 1, 2009
Beneteau 36cc port arthur, tx
Are you talking about a Honda eu3000is? I have one at home. I can't imagine that you'd put that on a 36' boat! Where??? How???
Yes, This is the 3000 inverter. I've used it a few times anchoring out in Galveston, during July. (necessary AC). With my center cockpit, I have a large aft deck. I strap it to the life raft d-rings. It weight over 100 #'s, so not idea. I carry my 2200 otherwise.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The only solution I would recommend is to run two Honda 2000 generators in parallel. The units are easy to handle one at a time and 4000 Watts of power will start and drive your A/C unit. Honda sells the harness to combine the generators.

Sep 30, 2019
Hunter 26 I launched my boat at sudan
I am using an All Power generator which powers up my home during emergencies. It offers undeniable power and longer run time.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Just picked up a Honda 2200i for my H31 to run my 16k btu AC. Had to install a micro-air soft start. Tested it yesterday and it works fine. I will mount it on cabin top near the rail that sits midship on our vintage Hunters. I built a small cradle for it to sit in.

Aug 5, 2019
Hunter 34 RockHall
Just picked up a Honda 2200i for my H31 to run my 16k btu AC. Had to install a micro-air soft start. Tested it yesterday and it works fine. I will mount it on cabin top near the rail that sits midship on our vintage Hunters. I built a small cradle for it to sit in.
Thank you for info

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
The other alternative is to use and inverter/charger to start the AC.

If your AC needs 2,000 watts to run and, say 2-3x that to start, you start the Honda, plugged into the boat system with the inverter/charger and set the inverter/charger to draw a maximum of 15A (~1,800 watts) from shore power/generator. Once the load exceeds that amount, the inverter/charger switches from charging to inverting and will supply the starting current from the batteries no problem. I believe all modern inverter/chargers have this function, starting with the Heart Interface units (hardly modern but good). If you do not have an inverter/charger you are better off with a capacitor based smart starter.

davegm

Sep 4, 2018
Hunter 260 Texas
You can buy 3 generators for what the Honda costs. Check out Ebay and I like to put the search within 30 miles because shipping costs a lot. I have seen some for under $300. Harbor Freight sells one on sale for $450.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You can buy 3 generators for what the Honda costs. Check out Ebay and I like to put the search within 30 miles because shipping costs a lot. I have seen some for under $300. Harbor Freight sells one on sale for $450.
Cost and value can often be mutually exclusive, e.g., cheap insurance

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Did exactly the same thing last season for my 2009 H36 - 2200i and Dometic SmartStart. . I will say that even with the SmartStart it is hit and miss whether the A/C will start, and if it does, if it will REstart when it cycles down from reaching desired temp, and then cycles the compressor back on. Sometimes I have to fiddle with it for 30 mins to get it to start the compressor (e.g. shutting down A/C and restarting). The Honda definitely won't run in Eco mode. To run it overnite I use a 6 gal external tank with substitute generator tank cap screw that allows for an external tank. We put the generator on a pad at the walk-thru in the stern so any fumes go downwind, and keep carbon monoxide alarms in all below deck spaces. No issues yet.

The summers here on the Chesapeake can get so oppressively hot/humid that no amount of ventilation/hatch scoop/fan really makes sleeping below decks comfortable - particularly if you're in a very sheltered anchorage. I will say that on my H36 there's no escaping the generator hum, so we rarely use it. I wouldn't feel comfortable running it all night unless I were the only boat in an anchorage. But it has really helped when there was no other option.

Last edited: