Looking for plastic CDI Furling Drum (Bail)

Jan 13, 2020
Hunter H-31 Southport
Greetings fellow sailers. Have just acquired a '87 Hunter 31 with what I have investigated as a CDI 'the reefer r.8'. Mine (pictured) is missing the top part which causes the reefing line to try and wind up the forestay. 2 part plastic. Diameter of my bottom spool is approx. 9". Already contacted CDI. No help. Thanks

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I wonder if you could not cut the end off of a piece of 8" PVC pipe... put an end cap on it and cut a hole in the top...and secure the entire mess to those SS posts you have on your furler. Then cut out a rectangular opening in the face for your line to pass through.

1582131217638.png

Jan 13, 2020
Hunter H-31 Southport
Thanks rgrainger. Looks like I will have to concoct something. Usable furler, just missing one part. Fortunately I am good with my hands.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks rgrainger. Looks like I will have to concoct something. Usable furler, just missing one part. Fortunately I am good with my hands.
Well if you go this route, maybe use black pipe .... it will look better. You could then secure the bail using a few small holes drilled to either side of the SS rods on your furler... then run a black zip tie through the holes and around the SS rods. The black on black will be hard to see. Should work rather well and it will protect the bulk of your line from UV

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
From your picture, are you missing the middle and top flanges? If so, when my original one broke, I saved the pieces. I have one full half including the hub and the three half flanges for the other side. It was from a 1985 Reefer II on my Hunter 34. They're yours for the asking.

Later you might consider converting the drum assembly to the newer CDI ball bearing system that retains your existing aluminum foil.

IMG_20200219_210244605.jpg

Jan 13, 2020
Hunter H-31 Southport
From your picture, are you missing the middle and top flanges? If so, when my original one broke, I saved the pieces. I have one full half including the hub and the three half flanges for the other side. It was from a 1985 Reefer II on my Hunter 34. They're yours for the asking.

Later you might consider converting the drum assembly to the newer CDI ball bearing system that retains your existing aluminum foil.

View attachment 175220
FANTASTIC Allen12210!!! How do we make this happen? This looks exactly like mine.

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
I hesitate to even post this but I just took an entire CDI furler to the dump last week. I posted it on the classic Cherubini Facebook group twice and held onto it for months before I threw it away. Wish you would have posted this back then!

Jan 13, 2020
Hunter H-31 Southport
That's OK Joe. Fortunately I found one and it will be delivered this Wednesday.