Looking for opinions on slip dilemma

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
I have not had a boat that has to be slipped yet, so this is all new to me. Looking at slip options I kind of have two.

Option 1: 15 minutes from my house, 6 mile motor out to where I can sail, fresh to brackish flowing water (in a river), not really close to any daysailing destinations (closest thing would be 25miles away), not the nicest facilities (im only 15 min from home though) $400 flat rate up to 39'. Other boat here do not appear to be that well cared for.

Option 2: 1 hr from my house, 3 mile motor out to sail though it is entirely in a channel in the gulf so I might be able to motor sail, pure saltwater, has daysailing destinations as close as 15 miles, possibly closer, pretty nice facilities, $9.5/ft (looking at 33-34' boats, so ~325/mo). Other boats here appear to be in nice shape.

I go back and forth thinking that closer would be nicer since I could just go to the boat spur of the moment, but the further location offers better sailing destinations. Option 2 would likely require I hire a diver once per month, option 1 being freshwater maybe not???

What would YOU choose?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Neither option saves you much time/hassle over launching from the trailer. Not worth the extra cost.

Apr 1, 2010
this is not for a trailered boat, im in the market for a 33-34' boat

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Agree with others on option 2.

Also, consider security at both locations.

Apr 1, 2010
ah yes, forgot to mention security,

Option 1: none
Option 2: locked fence from land, obviously easy water access, not sure about security though??

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver

From personal experience, the closer you are to your boat, the greater the probability that you will use it.

I can assure you that unless you are a zealot, your boat will start to rot for want of use if you have to drive an hour to get to it.

Having your boat out of the ocean means far less maintenance. Some people can go five years before having to do the bottom paint.

Again, from experience, the further away your boat is to your home, and the more maintenance you have to do, means that you will get less pleasure from your boating experience.

Unless you’ve just bought a new Swan, I rarely hear of boats being stolen...and thieves typically aren’t interested in sailboats as a general rule.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I have similar choices and have done both. The further location offers a large marina with haul out and yard services which I use from time to time. The closer location I use during the season because it's close and I'm able to sail on a whim. Close is better if you plan on using the boat often but there are other considerations such as yard services, social activities, and local amenities. In your case, your season is year round and the rate for option2 is $75 less than option 1. Option 2 would only be 15min more to get to better sailing. Guess I would chose option 2.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

From personal experience, the closer you are to your boat, the greater the probability that you will use it.

I can assure you that unless you are a zealot, your boat will start to rot for want of use if you have to drive an hour to get to it.

Having your boat out of the ocean means far less maintenance. Some people can go five years before having to do the bottom paint.

Again, from experience, the further away your boat is to your home, and the more maintenance you have to do, means that you will get less pleasure from your boating experience.

Unless you’ve just bought a new Swan, I rarely hear of boats being stolen...and thieves typically aren’t interested in sailboats as a general rule.
The distance from the boat does change the way it is used.

My boat I an hour away in a nice marina. I seldom go up for an afternoon sail, but I do go up almost every weekend and stay on it. It is a floating camp that I take places.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The time you "save" getting to the closer location is totally used up by the extra motoring in&out time. You might be closer but I'd bet you'd use the boat a lot less.
Option 2, not a hard choice.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I would offer that this is a mis-guided offering. We drive 45 minutes and my mooring neighbour drives over an hour. I think that @jssailem might chime in about this too.
Option 2 is the better offering. Consider as well that you may just spend time on the boat, in the slip. Which facility is more conducive to that activity?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I did the 1 hour drive last year. It sucked. Now I'm paying an extra $800 to be 20-40 mins (depending on traffic) away. Ultimately it all depends on how you use your boat. If you just want to sail, be on/around the water or will be doing a lot of repairs then option 1 for sure

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Option 2
Motoring for 6 miles out and then 6 miles back is much more daunting than the extra 45 minutes each way in the car. Then what about hanging out in the marina. Unkept boats and not as nice of a marina may not be as much fun as hanging out with sailors who care about their boats and use them and spending time in a nice marina.

We drive 1 1/2 hours or a little less. We're happy with day sailing as long as we can spend more time on the boat than in the car. Having nice dock neighbors and a nice club house for socializing and relaxing after sailing is important to us.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Option 2, but only if you really have to motor and can't sail the 6 miles to open water in option 1.

I've lived through both ways - driving 90 minutes each way (plus weekend traffic) when I was a kid, and living 8 minutes from the boat now. It's really nice to be so close, for spur of the moment trips or to do maintenance. But we're in a place with enough water for an afternoon sail right outside the marina, and a 6 mile trip down a (usually sail-able) channel to completely open water. Having to motor the whole 6 miles to any open water would probably tilt the scale for me.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I don't see an hour drive as too much. I'd do that in an evening after work no problem. Access to the water is a big plus. Nicer looking boats or less nice looking boats means nothing in my opinion. It depends upon the folks that are there. Where are the folk you prefer?

To me it sounds like option 2 is better, but for me the travel distance difference is minimal. The distance from mooring to sailing is much more important. Of course, I travel 4 hours one way to my boat so I'm clearly biased...

dlj

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Consider the cultures at the two marinas. If one is active and has nice folk.... you will enjoy hanging out in addition to sailing. If one is mostly a grave yard... then it is only a place to slip your boat and that would have to be okay with you.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My new slip for our new boat adds 15 min, so now I'm 45 min drive but the facilities are an upgrade. Not sure if the sailing area is a upgrade, I have about 15 min of motoring to get out to the lake area right now. It's an adjustment but having options to try out and fall back on is a plus.

Apr 1, 2010
so option 1 the first 3 miles are in a river with full oak canopy lining both sides, then it opens into the gulf for another 3 miles before reaching the 6' depth line. its is a narrow channel but theoretically sailable if the wind was just right.

option 2 is about a 0.25 mile motor to the gulf then 3 miles to 6' depth and the channel is bigger and more straight so better chance of sailing in the channel there.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The first thing I think of when I heard oak canopy is that your boat would need to be cleaned more often. Kinda like parking a car under a tree