Looking for new sails??

Feb 18, 2021
Catalina 22 NA
I am almost finished a total restore on a 1975 C22. Should be able to launch within 2 -3 weeks after a three year long restore. I know that I will need to buy a new main sail and I know that I can now order one through Catalina direct for an April delivery. This is my first sailboat and first time buying sails. Is Catalina Direct a good option or is there a go to place to buy sails and are there places that I should avoid?

Thank You

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I bought a new jib for my C- 22 when I installed a new furler two years ago. It is an awesome sail. It is made by Ulman Sails In Ventura CA. Fit was perfect and the quality was top notch, I would highly recommend Catalina Direct for a c22 sail. Dano

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We've been well served by our Rolly Tasker sails from thesailwarehouse.com.

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
I bought a new main thru Catalina direct. If you don't do the 15% off sale they are running you can get your sail in about 6 weeks. If you do the sale it will be April/May. My new main has been awesome. It has full batton and 3 reef points (I ordered it this way due to my wind conditions).

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@C_Level Ulman makes a good sail for sure. I would call the loft in San Diego on Shelter Island. I have been there and they are the ones that make the sails for Catalina direct. A few years back they were willing to beat the CD discounted price by a bit and had more options for windows and things in the sail. Well worth a phone call in my opinion,

Feb 18, 2021
Catalina 22 NA
Thank You all for your input. I have to say that this forum has helped me many times on my restoration project. Lots of good stuff here!! :clap:

Since I am new to this sailing world I think it best that I wait until I get out on the water and get a better understanding as to the sail that I will need. I know my main and my standard size jib are useable although I am sure they have seen better days. I do have a roller fuller with a 135% that I expect to try.

Today I finally pulled it out of the garage for the first time since I started the restore. I couldn't mount the sliding hatch yet due to the garage door height. I had to let the air out of the tires to get it out and had one of my well fed
neighbors hang on the back to help get it out and I had to take the trim off the door jambs. :laugh:

Tomorrow I am looking to mount the teak slider rails to put the hatch on as well as the bow and stern pulpits. The electrical system needs to be completed but at this point I want to get the mast up to see what rigging issues I may have and get on the water. I did however put a length of pvc-conduit in the mast for wiring the lights.

My new question is in regards to the jib/genoa track. I have not yet re-mounted the ones that were on the boat. They are 15/16 wide x 2' 0" long. They were mounted on the outside. The cars that are on them do not lock into holes in the track like the newer ones do. These rails had a screw in every hole and the cars have a thumb screw on them that you tighten up against the rail to clamp the car.

I am wandering if I would be better off just getting new rails along with the cars that lock with pins. If I am going to do that should I upgrade to the 1" wide rails and also get the 4' 0" long rails to give me more adjustment? My boat has a roller fuler that has a 135% sail that I plan on trying to use. I don't want to drill holes in my new old boat :yikes: for the old tracks only to find out that they are inadequate. Am I over thinking again or would there be an advantage on an upgrade here?

Thank You!!!!

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Am I over thinking again or would there be an advantage on an upgrade here?

Thank You!!!!

Inside tracks are best. The outside tracks are ok but don’t allow you to sheet the jib in all the way and will cost your in pointing upwind. I added 1 inch tracks near the cabin top with cars and love it. They don’t need to be super long just a few feet. If I were you I would go this route. There are threads on this here and instructions in the tech manual from the Catalina 22 National Sailing association.

Sep 30, 2013
Inside tracks are best. The outside tracks are ok but don’t allow you to sheet the jib in all the way and will cost your in pointing upwind. I added 1 inch tracks near the cabin top with cars and love it. They don’t need to be super long just a few feet. If I were you I would go this route. There are threads on this here and instructions in the tech manual from the Catalina 22 National Sailing association.
How many degrees higher can you point vs. factory tracks? And don't exaggerate just to make me spend money and drill holes! LOL

Do you use the inside tracks on all points of sail, or do you switch to the outside tracks when sailing off the wind?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
How many degrees higher can you point vs. factory tracks? And don't exaggerate just to make me spend money and drill holes! LOL

Do you use the inside tracks on all points of sail, or do you switch to the outside tracks when sailing off the wind?
. I can go straight into the wind no worries (I just have to use the motor).

In all honesty the inside tracks have been the best change I have made. They easily give me 3 deg more in all winds and sometimes 5 or better in higher winds when I am pinching to loose speed. I have the wing keel so I don’t benefit as much as the swing guys but the difference is amazing.

If you want to do a test setup a barber-hauler off one of the cabin top cleats. Sheet till the genoa is 2 inches or so off the spreader and you’ll know it’s worth it. I both race and cruise but the benefit is there for both.

Case in point. When I did the apostle islands cruise a couple years ago there were like 10 or so c22s. We had to beat upwind during a small craft advisory to get to one of our anchorages. I left the anchorage last (about 20 min behind the first boat). Tacking back and forth I passed through the entire fleet even beating a hunter 260 that was with us. It had nothing to do with boat speed as everyone had great speed. It was all about pointing. I actually stayed out in the waves all day to make sure the last couple boats made it in.

So yup I would say there one of the few things that is worth drilling holes in the boat for and I hate drilling holes. I have not used the factory tracks since except for a big spin I fly for fun that is oversized for the boat. As for cost I bought the tracks and car as new old stock from a 2nd hand marine store so the whole upgrade was under $100 all in including hardware.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you use inside tracks, for sailing downwind you can use a "Short sheet" to haul the jib clew outboard where it would like to be. There are several ways to do that. We used to use a snatch block attached to the rail and a hook that was like a reefing hook on the end of the sheet which would be hooked to the clew. The tail end of the sheet would often go to a cabin top winch. Rig it and slack the permanent sheet and the clew opens and off you go!

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@shemandr not sure I have seen anyone do that on a Catalina 22. For max speed and performance most just use a whisker pole. But that is generally in a race and not often seen on cruising boats.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
In all honesty the inside tracks have been the best change I have made. They easily give me 3 deg more in all winds and sometimes 5 or better in higher winds when I am pinching to loose speed.
So yup I would say there one of the few things that is worth drilling holes in the boat for and I hate drilling holes.
Well okay then, I guess that's that! I don't know when, but it's on my list now.

I have used an improvised barber hauler a few times, on very long tacks. There is no question it works.

@shemandr not sure I have seen anyone do that on a Catalina 22. For max speed and performance most just use a whisker pole. But that is generally in a race and not often seen on cruising boats.
I use a whisker pole quite often! I thought everyone did!