Looking for information on water and holding tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2011
Sabre 34mkII Westport
I'm a new member so I hope I'm doing this the right way.
Sabre 34mkII, 1986. 1st year of my owning the boat and still learning the systems.

Problem 1: Water tank leaks
Water tanks were a bad chemestry experiment, black things were swimming in there. I cleaned them out, added 1/2 a cup of bleach at the suggestion of someone at the marina. Re-filled the tanks 3 or 4 times and scrubbed with a long brush each time until they are nice and clean, no longer smells bad etc.
Problem: Last time I went for a 2 day cruise, both tanks started to leak at the aft end, and through the vertical plywood of the berth and at the cabin sole. I can't see to get back in there but did my activity screw up the water tanks exit to the water lines? What so I need to do to get back in there, Looks as if the face of the berth is not a simple un-screw the panel thing.

Problem 2: Starboard tack stink
OK, this one is weird, when on a starboard tack, there is a distinct septic / holding tank smell eminating from the companionway. If I go below, it only smells near the companionway, forward is quite nice, the head, no problem at all. There are no visible leaks from the holding tank (plastic of some kind in the forward berth) and I've tracked all the hoses to and from the tank, no leaks, no smell. I'm thinking this must be some kind of venting problem. Any Ideas?

Constant port tacker

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Only leaves one possibility

Bilge water...very OLD bilge water. A wet dirty bilge is a primordial soup of bacteria, molds, decay micro sea water life, etc that can make a whole boat smell like a swamp or even a sewer. If you don't see any water, there's trapped water somewhere down there...most likely due to clogged limber holes that are preventing that part of the bilge from draining. When you tack to starboard, it causes the "soup" to run across the boat, stirring it up and stinking. Find it, flush it out VERY thorughly with plenty of detergent and water--but NOT bleach!!--and fix the problem that caused the water to become trapped.

Odors are always strongest at their source...that should help you find it.

Now...what are your water tanks made of? How old are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.