Looking for info on the head/toilet

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
I have a toilet that I haven’t attempted to use yet. It has a tank and a valve or pipe at the very bow of the boat for suctioning out the tank.

I’m hesitant to use it or test it until I understand how it all works, but I’ve not yet found anything in the manual, and I’ve not found videos online about the process of cleaning it.

anyone know where to begin on this project?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Start by making a diagram of the system, raw water intake, vent, discharge and pump-out, overboard, valves with diameters and document with photos. Try to look up your toilet on-line with photos to determine the manufacturer and model and download the manual. That is what I did on an older boat that did not come with system documentation. If it is manual or electric, the forum can advise how to operate it.
1647731398403.png

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The brand name and model of the head stamped somewhere on the body is the starting gate.

The West Marine Advisor is a pretty good garden variety source of information.

It'll give you a rough idea of what hoses should be in there. You'll definitely want a vacuum breaker on the head for a smaller boat as the head is very often at or below the water level.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I have a toilet that I haven’t attempted to use yet. It has a tank and a valve or pipe at the very bow of the boat for suctioning out the tank.

Based on the size of your boat--22' if I read your info on the left side of your post correctly--and that you say it's a toilet with a tank, I'm guessing that you have what's known as an "MSD" portapotty. "MSD" means it's a portapotty, but a version designed to be permanently installed (which actually only means mounting brackets that are sturdier than those on portable models) and fitted for pumpout and vent lines so you you don't have to carry it off the boat to empty it. If you can post a photo of it I'll know for certain what it is. Once I know that much I'll be able to tell you what to do with it.

--Peggie

Feb 28, 2022
Thanks for your replies, and I apologize for the delay. I wasn't able to empty out the cabin enough to get in and get photos until this past weekend. Here are several photos that show the different angles. I'll work on a diagram of how I think things are connected.

IMG_2231.jpegIMG_2232.jpegIMG_2235.jpegIMG_2236.jpegIMG_2237.jpegIMG_2238.jpegIMG_2475.jpegIMG_2479.jpegIMG_2480.jpeg

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Thanks for your replies, and I apologize for the delay. I wasn't able to empty out the cabin enough to get in and get photos until this past weekend. Here are several photos that show the different angles. I'll work on a diagram of how I think things are connected.

View attachment 204533View attachment 204534View attachment 204537View attachment 204538View attachment 204539View attachment 204540View attachment 204541View attachment 204543View attachment 204544
Holy crap! someone actually installed a real head / holding tank!?? In a c22!? Do whatever Peggie advises.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You have a compact manual marine toilet. The brand is Groco...they make pretty decent equipment. The model (HE) is obsolete, however...updated to HF in 1985. There are no kits or parts still available for the HE...so you'd have to update it to the HF to replace any parts in it..and from the look of it, it's in serious need of a complete rebuild kit.
Your holding tank is totally separate from it.

All that said,... a marine toilet plus a separate holding tank PLUS all the related plumbing cannot leave enough storage space for a ham sandwich on a 22' boat! It's not worth the cost to make it a functioning system. However there is a solution that actually makes sense on your boat: a portpotty, which you can get as a portable version (carry the tank off the boat to empty it) or the MSD version, which has fittings to plumb it for pumpout. All you'd need is a pumpout line and vent line...you already have everything else.

A 5-6 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. 0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $300 (you already have everything else)--a fraction of what you'd spend for everything you'd need to make your existing system workable. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

Check out the Dometic 975 MSD Sanipottie This retailer (Defender) has it for $200. Also has the best prices for hose. And I'll be glad to help you sort out the details of installing it. The first step: remove the existing toilet, holding tank and ALL the related plumbing. 2nd step: a very thorough cleaning of the boat's interior and bilges. Then you'll be ready to install the new self-contained system.

--Peggie

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I don't recommend my PO: nothing like straight in / straight out:

IMG_0242.JPG

Feb 28, 2022
You have a compact manual marine toilet. The brand is Groco...they make pretty decent equipment. The model (HE) is obsolete, however...updated to HF in 1985. There are no kits or parts still available for the HE...so you'd have to update it to the HF to replace any parts in it..and from the look of it, it's in serious need of a complete rebuild kit.
Your holding tank is totally separate from it.

All that said,... a marine toilet plus a separate holding tank PLUS all the related plumbing cannot leave enough storage space for a ham sandwich on a 22' boat! It's not worth the cost to make it a functioning system. However there is a solution that actually makes sense on your boat: a portpotty, which you can get as a portable version (carry the tank off the boat to empty it) or the MSD version, which has fittings to plumb it for pumpout. All you'd need is a pumpout line and vent line...you already have everything else.

A 5-6 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. 0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $300 (you already have everything else)--a fraction of what you'd spend for everything you'd need to make your existing system workable. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

Check out the Dometic 975 MSD Sanipottie This retailer (Defender) has it for $200. Also has the best prices for hose. And I'll be glad to help you sort out the details of installing it. The first step: remove the existing toilet, holding tank and ALL the related plumbing. 2nd step: a very thorough cleaning of the boat's interior and bilges. Then you'll be ready to install the new self-contained system.

--Peggie
Thank you Peggie! I was wondering about the pump out and vent line. What are the two hoses that come up and out of the bow? I would have guessed those would be vent or pump out lines.
IMG_2226.jpegIMG_2480.jpegCCB04E1C-E24E-4BA0-AB59-2A116A83B995.JPG

And I guess my first question is if I should even try to test it to see if it currently works, and if so, what a safe way would be to test flushing it or emptying it.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Holy crap! someone actually installed a real head / holding tank!?? In a c22!? Do whatever Peggie advises.
I don't recommend my PO: nothing like straight in / straight out:

View attachment 204573
Early C22s had them from the factory. No tank just straight out like many 70s boats.

A 30 gallon holding tank and a drinking water tank might help with pushing the bow down to solve the typical low in the stern problem C22s have. :laugh: