Looking for Columbia 29 Defender genoa or jib

crbedd

Jun 5, 2020
Columbia 29 Defender Racine, WI
Looking for pre-owned roller furling genoa or jib in good condition, looking good for Columbia 29 Defender.

I just purchased a 1965 one and the jib really needs to be replaced, preferably with a genoa. Main is fine.

Do you have or know of anyone who has a genoa or jib for sale or would sell one.

I am thinking that maybe someone has multiple sails, such as 2 genoas and 3 jibs and would sell one.

Thanks, Randy randy@maxfulfillment.com

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Congratulations on your new sailboat and welcome to the forum!! Might check your local sail lofts or the links below.

Try these folks:

crbedd

Jun 5, 2020
Wow, Thank You very much!!! I will try your used sail suggestions and local sail lofts. :)

crbedd

Jun 5, 2020
I added roller furling genoa or jib to post above.

sail sfbay, Thank you again! I am trying all 3 sources and questions are coming up.

I am finding or being told that sails are not Columbia ones, but others with the same dimensions. Is that okay or should I only get a Columbia sail, genoa.

The features or points in the sail descriptions are many and varied. If one is not racing, but only day sailing or cruising what are you looking for in a used genoa? A window maybe; no stains, soiling. For reefing, wouldn't you be furling in the genoa?

Does the sailmaker, who made the sail make a difference, matter or are they all the same in terms of quality, shape, performance. I am seeing Precision, Hard, Linthicum, Morgan, Hild, Horizon.

Thanks, Randy

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I added roller furling genoa or jib to post above...........I am finding or being told that sails are not Columbia ones, but others with the same dimensions. Is that okay or should I only get a Columbia sail, genoa. The features or points in the sail descriptions are many and varied. If one is not racing, but only day sailing or cruising what are you looking for in a used genoa? A window maybe; no stains, soiling. For reefing, wouldn't you be furling in the genoa?.........
If you have a roller furling head sail that would be a nice feature...........Perfectly OK to purchase a non-Columbia sail so long as they have the same dimensions. You may refer to the attached measurement guide. What to look for ina used genoa sail: fabrication date, size (100, 110, 130 or 150% and is that size suitable for your NORMAL sailing conditions?), guaranteed dimensions with sail pulled taught (you will want to measure luff to be sure it fits on your roller furler). photos of the good and the bad can help as well. If there are patches or repairs, are they shown? Seeing the corners is key. Are the corners reinforced Does it have telltales? How about what boat it was flown on, or how it was stored. Was it properly flaked and bagged if hanked and stored below Or stored on the roller with a "suncover"? I it a high cut or deck sweeper? If deck sweeper recommend a window.

We often sail with our 110% jib furler in to reduce its sail area by 50% as we did yesterday sailing in 20+ knot wind in the San Francisco Bay.

Attachments

crbedd

Jun 5, 2020
Thank you for answering about whether to use a Columbia sail or not, the measuring guide and all the points or considerations that are involved in choosing a used sail. I like that about the fabrication date and what is the best sail size for the conditions you sail in. In fact, I went down to the boat today with the measurement guide and began figuring out how to measure the sails.