Looking For Advice on Installing Holding Tank Under V-Berth

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Hello all,

We are in the process of replacing the holding tank for the forward head. I removed a 29 year old VETUS 75 liter (19.8 US gallons) from our 1984 Beneteau First 38. It was smelly but amazingly not leaking. We will be installing a RONCO rigid polyethylene tank. Has anyone installed such a tank in a First 38?

From the measurements I have taken and some guidance from RONCO it appears that a RONCO B126 holding tank (30 US gallons) may fit.

Does anyone have experience with this mod? Will this tank fit?

Attached are pics of (a) space under the v-berth, (b) marked up pic with dimensions, & (c) dimensions of B126 tank from RONCO catalog.

Thanks

Doug in Lakeview
1984 Beneteau First 38 – Hull #178
Belmont Harbor – Chicago

Attachments

May 18, 2009
Beneteau First 38 Portland
Re: Looking For Advice on Installing Holding Tank Under V-Be

I have the same boat, and the PO had some sort of problem and replaced the system with a 30 gallon rigid HDPE tank that replaced all the cabinetry on the hull side of the head. The system stinks terribly, and my wife wants to get another boat if I can't fix the smell. Do you know where the original was? Mine seems to be well built, using the best hoses, etc. but even when empty and rinsed multiple times, it stinks.

At least let me know if your tank choice fits...

Attachments

Oct 9, 2013
Hi jgurley,

Original set-up was as follows:

- Forward head did not contain holding tank; a cabinet with shelves was located where your PO has installed tank
- Forward toilet discharges to forward compartment through the upper 1.5” ID hole in the bulkhead beneath the sink
- In forward compartment a Y-valve (not shown in my photo) was used to either (a) discharge into bladder, or (b) discharge overboard back to head via lower 1.5” ID hole in bulkhead; from there the black water was discharged through the large thru-hull
- In forward compartment, from the Y-valve, discharge was also routed to bladder located under v-berth
- Bladder was pumped out via pumpout connection on starboard topside connection
- Bladder was vented through 5/8” hose that snaked through the bilge to stern where it connected with vent from 2nd bladder which served the aft head and then vented via a thru-hull located just below the toe rail

I have attached pics of the following:

- Original Head with Wall Cabinet
- Original Location of Y-Valve for Discharge to Holding Tank vs Overboard
- Original Holding Bladder Under V-berth
- Space under V-Berth with Bladder Removed
- Dimension of Space under V-Berth Rev 01

I talked to RONCO earlier today and a RONCO B126 holding tank should just fit.

I need to indicate where I want the nozzles located on the tank, give a credit card number, and in ~ 2 weeks it should be shipped from their factory.

Thanks

Doug in Lakeview
Belmont Harbor – Chicago

Attachments

May 18, 2009
Beneteau First 38 Portland
Re: Looking For Advice on Installing Holding Tank Under V-Be

Thanks for the history lesson. That explains why the fresh water fill on the starboard side is stamped with "waste". I don't believe the aft head was ever installed in my boat, since there are no holes anywhere for hoses. It's remarkable how much boats evolve (devolve?) over their lifetimes.

Does your boat have a second fuel tank? I have a fuel fill on the starboard quarter that goes nowhere. My tank is under the port cabin bunk.

Oct 9, 2013
Hi jgurley,

I too have a 2nd fuel fill on the starboard quarter that goes nowhere. I do not have a 2nd fuel tank.

The diesel fuel tank is located under the port aft berth. It is stainless steel – I think. The tank dimensions are:

13.88” H x 39.5” L x 19.5” W; thus a volume of 46.3 US gallons (175 liters)

However, the top 1.8” and bottom 1.8” of the tank are unusable, thus the working volume is 34.3 US gallons (130 liters). This exactly matches the original Beneteau advertising brochure.

Doug in Lakeview
Belmont Harbor – Chicago