Looking for advice and solutions to my genoa

May 5, 2017
Catalina C36 mkII PA
Hello members. My genoa foot is rubbing on a rail when fully furled out. It keeps wearing the bottom and need to find a solution. It's a Catalina30-std rig. Not quite sure but it looks like 110 genoa. Any suggestions? Attached are pics how it looks and how it wears. Sorry about my finger in these pics but I was using my phone and didn't want to loose it.
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
My boat has the top lifeline run to the base of the bow pulpit for just that reason - it allows the sail to not chafe against it constantly. Sorry no pics.

If you've got enough room to hoist the sail higher, a pennant on the tack would allow you to increase the height and reduce the rubbing.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Sew a piece of leather to the chafed area. It does not need to be very think. Leather can take chafe MUCH better than sailcloth.
OR
duct tape ;-) (brown looks like leather BTW so you don't look like a total land lubber)

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Wrap the life line with rigging tape where it is rubbing the sail. Looks like it's the turnbuckle that is causing the damage. I have the same problem. I wrapped it and smoothed it out.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
If you have a little room at the top of the forestay, you could add a tail to the tack so you could raise the sail higher.
I had a C22 rigged this way. Just a piece of line with a with a shackle tied on each end.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
If you have a little room at the top of the forestay, you could add a tail to the tack so you could raise the sail higher.
I had a C22 rigged this way. Just a piece of line with a with a shackle tied on each end.
This is exactly what i did... i added a 1' tail to get the sail up and over the lifelines... it had the added benefit of moving the top of the sail rotating turnbuckle closer to the block at the top of the mask reducing my halyard wrap issues up there..

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I have the same issue with my deck sweeper of a jenny. Had my sailmaker sew a piece if sacrificial cloth to the foot. When that wears through, sew another one on.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Pzmaria,

Good afternoon! I've had a few friends who were dealing with the same problem, and it seemed, for one of them, that the actual turnbuckle that connects the lifeline to the bow pulpit was causing the issue, because a small safety pin was catching the dacron stitching on the foot and ripping it loose. Also, I have seen a conversion kit for Catalina 30s for the lifelines; on the Catalina 25, they produced the boat with lifelines that went from the forwardmost stanchion down to the foredeck just in front of the pulpit (as seen in Jeppbleutj's picture). This conversion is available for the 30, but I've never seen it on any other boat besides my friend's. Like the others stated, a patch of leather or Gorilla Tape works fine for a while.

Hope this helps!
God Bless,
S.S.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
You don't need the conversion kit - just run the upper lifeline to the same spot the lower runs to. I've seen that on some '30s. Not for everybody as it does make the foredeck easier to fall off of.

If it's a furling sail the UV cover that should be on the bottom of the sail can help too. But the advice here (and on another formum) boils down to:

Lower the lifelines, OR
Raise the sail, OR
Protect for chafe.