Looking for a Westerbeke 30BThree or 40B Four V-Drive

Sep 11, 2021
CAL 34 CAL 34 Fortman Marina
Hi, My W30 Westerbeke V-Drive engine is toast. I am looking for a Westerbeke 30BThree V-Drive or a Westerbeke 40B Four V-Drive. If anyone knows where I can find, I'd be so so thankful. I am in the San Francisco Bay area, but could pay for shipping. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Heather it looks like you have the need to repower your auxiliary.

You do not need to be limited to Westerbeke, just because that is what you are replacing.
Perkins, Yanmar, Beta Marine, Universal etc. all make good power plants for your boat.

Here is some light reading on the subject…

Sep 11, 2021
as always, John, I appreciate your insight! I have to figure something out, I guess the V drive thing is an issue according to the person who's not really spending time fixing my boat :( I will read what you suggested! Thanks

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What’s wrong with the engine that it needs a full repower? Small diesels are pretty tough and generally pretty simple. Depending on what’s wrong it might be worth considering repairing or rebuilding.

Sep 11, 2021
Hi David: I know nothing about engines. It's nearly impossible to find anyone who will work on a 78' engine (so far) Here is what the 2 people I've talked to have said (so far)

Mechanic 1
My apologies for not being able to get your engine running again. It may be that you'll need someone more specialized with your particular problem. The main issue I see is that seawater did get into your exhaust manifold and most likely you cylinders which was noticeable when we tried to start it. It's typically known as "Hydrolock" where the engine is trying to compress seawater and has difficulty turning over, I replaced the worn and broken exhaust components. They may have been instrumental in the water entering. Normally the combustion back pressure pushes the seawater out of the boat but by having a crack in the pipe it allowed water to back flow in the opposite direction. I tried bleeding the fuel system multiple time thinking it might be air in the fuel system, but it wasn't effective. When I had the exhaust pipe off I could visually see water droplet inside of the manifold which may be causing a valve to stick open, and not allowing compression. Another possibility could be the injector pump cutoff switch is cutting off fuel, but I didn't make much progress diagnosing this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mechanic 2
Here is what 2nd guy he has already pulled a lot of pieces and parts off and put special oil (that sat for a week) and it didn't work.

Option 1
Get head gaskets, misc gaskets, valve parts take engine out, rip out galley, build plywood floor, take head off, see if can get loose inside cylinder with penetrate with oil, get loose floating
Cost minus wood work of rebuilding galley 40 hours + parts $6000 not including rebuilding galley. Includes $1500 valve job Bring torch in, heat everything up probably 50/50 on working
I’d have to do the demo work on the galley beautiful woodwork that I spent months on, then redo it.

Option 2 Just as risky, me find the same engine buy from reputable company get 30-day guarantee if it doesn’t work, will just be out the cost of shipping. Make sure it’s a VDrive
Eric called someone and they made an adaptor plate for a different V drive so it won’t work for my boat, I could find an adaptor plate, just need engine not a gear box

Option 3
Reach out to Westerbeak to see if they have: 40B4 V drive 44 horsepower 4 cyl if they have 30B3 it would be about $2-3K cheaper, too short is okay, too tall won’t work

Same engine make sure V drive

He said to buy a brand-new engine, it would cost around $25K

Oct 22, 2014
Heather the Westerbeke and Perkins are similar engines. My Perkins has a V-Drive transmission. It is the 4.107. This engine is commonly used by truckers to run the cooling systems on their trailers. You might explore the truck mechanics and ask about your engine. You may be able to find a Perkins 4.107 or 4.108 that could fit in your engine space.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
He said to buy a brand-new engine, it would cost around $25K
I certainly hope that quote includes all woodwork involved. We just replaced a complete engine and transmission in a Bristol 35.5 and it was $18k. That was a new beta marine engine, new transmission, and all labor. Had to rebuild engine bed. I don't know if the Vdrive poses some special considerations I'm unaware of. But $25k sounds high to me unless that's a complete deal with all woodwork included. Then it's probably not bad.

dj

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I had a bout with hydrolock last season. If you act fast enough there may be no damage. On mine I went to start the engine and it failed to turn over. Tried again and the 80 Amp. starter fuse blew. Hydrolock. The next day I removed the injectors and blew the water out of the cylinders with an air compressor while turning the engine over by hand. Changed the oil, ran the engine, changed the oil again and good to go. You may be able to save your engine.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I had a bout with hydrolock last season. If you act fast enough there may be no damage. On mine I went to start the engine and it failed to turn over. Tried again and the 80 Amp. starter fuse blew. Hydrolock. The next day I removed the injectors and blew the water out of the cylinders with an air compressor while turning the engine over by hand. Changed the oil, ran the engine, changed the oil again and good to go. You may be able to save your engine.
Roy,
How did it hydrolock? Extended cranking?? Storm related???

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
BigEasy, since you ask: Hydrolock in my case was caused in part by my fixing something that was not broken. I noticed in my Yanmar manual that the idle speed on my 2QM15 was supposed to be 800 RPM. Mine was 1000 RPM and had been so for a decade. So I adjusted it down to 800. When I land in my slip I fasten a spring line and leave the engine idling in forward while I tie on the rest of the lines. The last time I did that before the hydrolock episode, I ended up chatting with someone on the dock while the engine idled away. Eventually I completed tying off and and shut off the engine. A week or so later when I went to start the engine I had Hydrolock. My investigation uncovered several contributing issues: 1) Idling at 800 RPM barely clears the lift muffler of cooling water. 2) I failed to race the engine for a second or two before shutting down which would have blasted all of the cooling water out. 3) The exhaust system was poorly designed with the highest spill over point near the stern just before it exits under the hull. With the exhaust system full of accumulated cooling water and the engine simply shut down the water flowed back up the cooling elbow and into the cylinders.

Sep 11, 2021
Hi all, I am at the mercy of my mechanic. We did remove injectors, etc., no go. I did find a 30B three V drive... being shipped this week. YAY and I am spending my evenings trying to (carefully) rip out my galley :( Before and after, about 1/4 of the way there.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
You go. Nice to know you found an answer. Who puts a sink in the companion way next to a ladder? I would think the chance of stepping into the sink when coming down from the cockpit would be pretty high.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Sink is usually near centerline of boat to keep it from filling with seawater when heeled. However, it is usually in an island and not under the companionway.

Oct 22, 2014
Depending on the age of a CAL and the model, sinks can be in an island, or along the side of the boat. While my boat has the sink near the center (fore/aft) of the boat the galley is along the starboard side of the Salon. We limit water in the sink while sailing. All seems to work well.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Reminds me of the good old days with my 1976 Cal 34 III. Great boat and yes I had the same engine. Good Luck with everything.

Sep 11, 2021
Still waiting for my engine to be delivered! But thanks to hired help, galley is all gone in anticipation of the new(to me) 30B3. So excited!