Looking for a used engine

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I pretty much trashed my transmission by running it without oil, and I figure if I have to pull the engine I might as well put in a new one. The boat is a 1976 Ontario 32, and the engine is the original 2QM20 - RWC, runs OK but smokes a bit. I'd like one I wouldn't be worried about, and as I say I have to rebuild or replace the transmission anyway.

OK, to the point of this post (finally!): Where should I look for a used engine? Google doesn't seem to give me any ads. I'm looking at Craigslist, Kijiji and UsedVictoria. I bought a rebuilt 2GM20F from "Al" in Wisconsin, but by the time I paid the core fee and shipping, it was almost as much as a new engine! (good engine, though - Al's a great guy).

Although the Yanmar isn't BAD, I think I'd prefer what I put into a Catalina 36 a few years ago: a Universal M25XP. They're smoother, start easier with glow-plugs, and are 3 cyl. I've checked and I have room for one. The Beta 25 seems to be similar, but haven't been out long enough for there to be any rebuilt ones for sale.

Any suggestions? I'm in Vancouver, West coast.
druid
"WindDrift" Ontario 32

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks, Jalepeno (and hi!). They don't seem to have anything I want at this time, but I'll keep looking.

druid
"WindDrift" Ontario 32

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks. I've been there - that's where I found my friend "Al" in Wisconsin. Unfortunately most (all?) of the engines there would require a huge amount of shipping cost. (Fedex and UPS would not even TALK to me about shipping an item of that weight unless I was a business). I'm willing to drive a few hundred miles to get one, but from WI just doesn't work for me.

druid

Sovt

Jul 2, 2014
Fuji 36 New Baltimore NY
If you have basic mechanical abilities you might try rebuilding the transmission. I just rebuilt my Paragon 23L transmission for about $1500. I replaced every moving part in the process, all the roller bearings, clutch plates, needle bearings and a damaged input shaft....

Not really difficult if you take your time.

Dec 7, 2013
Hunter 33 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
Hey
I have a 1981 Volvo from a Islander 30' that I scrapping. Ran good no problems, 11hp. Might be a little under powered for you, but make me a fair offer and come and get it. I'm in the Detroit MI area.