Looking for a source for this part:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Its common name is a ”sex bolt” most commonly used in furniture assembly.
I need one in stainless M6 size. The local Fastenal store only has non stainless/english thread.
Not much of a market for these here in the hinterland...don’t want to buy in quantity.
I need one only. They secure the back of my instrument pod and I dropped one down the conduit in my pedestal guard, and can’t locate it. (don’t ask).
69D68667-0FC2-4C22-B50F-0AA53EAD0D5A.jpeg

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
I believe you're looking for a 'chicago screw', and you'll find stainless ones at your local farm store, look in the horse tack section.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
I believe you're looking for a 'chicago screw', and you'll find stainless ones at your local farm store, look in the horse tack section.
Thanks for that! I know of one fairly nearby. Betting that they don’t stock metric though you never know.
Trying to avoid shipping charges exceeding part cost.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks for that! I know of one fairly nearby. Betting that they don’t stock metric though you never know.
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Besides, what is your time worth? Spending a couple of hours shopping to save $8 in shipping costs, means you value your time at $4 per hour. When confronted with similar situations, I try to anticipate and purchase other items to defray the shipping cost. ;)

You might also try BoltDepot.com.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Is there any real reason to get metric? You could just change the size of the hole to fractional measurements.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Is there any real reason to get metric? You could just change the size of the hole to fractional measurements.
That’s a valid question. My reasons to stay with metric are that virtually the whole boat contains metric fasteners, except where it doesn’t, second the six studs that secure the instrument panel cover to the external pod are metric and more or less molded into the cover. I’m just trying to stay consistent with what is already there.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
If the boat is already metric I would definitely stay metric. Being Canadian, I'm pretty well versed in both systems, but I try to keep each vehicle or machine I work on pure to its origin, unit-wise.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I think you need to get 2, plus some "sticky fingers" like football receivers use :facepalm:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Many people are surprised to learn that Lowes carries this sort of stuff. In the hardware isle you will find a set of drawers that look like this....

1621885742956.png

Not shown in this picture is a drawer titled "furniture hardware". I believe you will find a barrel nut there.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Many people are surprised to learn that Lowes carries this sort of stuff. In the hardware isle you will find a set of drawers that look like this....

View attachment 194457

Not shown in this picture is a drawer titled "furniture hardware". I believe you will find a barrel nut there.
I have been aware of those drawers in the big box stores and many of the better hardware stores, unfortunately, they seem to stock only english thread.