looking for a reasonable price

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michael gee

looking for a reasonable price to pay for a 70's vintage 19 mariner ODay. Looking at a model in pretty good shape, owners have had for three years, determined that sailing is not their thing. comes with a reasonable trailer. rigging and sails appear in decent shape. they are asking $2600. any thoughts or advise before buying an Oday of this vintage. thanks.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

If the hull is sound, its probably a great deal

Michael, If the boat looks even close to sailable, $2600 is a great deal. New Mariners from Staurt Marine cost close to $20,000 by the time they're equipped properly. I saw an 88 sell for $8500 here in Maine not too long ago. While I was looking for my current boat, I looked at several Mariners and all were consdierably more expensive that what you found. Still, find someone knowelgable about boats to go with you to look at it before you buy. Standing rigging is not big deal to replace, but sails and major hull repairs can get expensive. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

K

Kevin Swallow

That's a lot less than I paid!

Michael, I bought a 1974 O'day Mariner 2 plus 2 four years ago for $5000. It had a serviceable trailer, old standing rigging, and useful but tired sails. I felt at the time that I got a reasonable vaule for my money. The hulls on these boats are seriously overbuilt. If the hull on the boat you are looking at is in reasonable condition, all else can be put right without too much trouble. Drop me a note if I can tell you anything in specific. Kevin Swallow O'day Mariner - "Lavender Room"

R

Raoul Duke

Michael, which cabin layout is it?

Michael, The Mariner as O'day did it came in three different cabin configurations. What is the cabin on the boat you are looking at like? The price is great, but if its an early boat with the open cabin, you might prefer a slightly later model with more ammenities. Just a counterpoint. RD.

M

Michael Gee

I think it is a 2+2

Thanks everyone for the great responses. The cabin has a forward v berth and single berths on either side. It has a sliding fiberglas hatch and a two piece removable door (excuse me if I don't have the exact terminology). Two cabin windows, otherwise pretty simple but that's fine. I'm going back tonight to further inspect the mast, rigging, sails, centerboard, rudder, hull. Based upon the feedback thus far will probably make an offer if goes well. I'll keep everyone informed. Does anyone know a good site to get some pictures of these different models? Thanks again. Mike

M

michael gee

confirmed Mariner C/B 2&2

Just returned from inspecting the boat again. everything looks in good shape. Only tough thing to evaluate is the centerboard since the boat was on the trailer. Any way to inspect from above? Otherwise, owner seems ready to negotiate. Sails in good shape, the jib is a bit rust stained. Can I tell from the serial number the year?? I'm thinking it is a 75? XDYF2993M75J thanks for all the help. mike

M

Michael Gee

Its a done deal

thank you everyone for the great advice! I am now the proud owner of a 75 mariner 2+2. I'm pretty excited. will keep in touch. geeser.

J

Congrats!!!

Michael, Well done! What needs doing before you get to sail? I have been sailing out of Portland for about a week, so I guess its officially sailing season. Let us know how it goes and hit us with the questions as they come up. Does she have a name yet? Again, congrats. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
My congrats, too!

Nice job on getting the deal done; be sure to tell us how it goes with the first launch :) maintenance, etc.

E

Elizabeth McCoy

You're gonna love it!

Michael, You are going to really love your new boat. I have had my Mariner since 1991 and still have a blast with it. I trailer it all over and use it for local cruising. Its been all over the West coast, to Lake Powell, Lake Mead, Sea of Cortez. Lots of great trips. I sleep on it in on the way as a kind of camper. One thing you might want to consider is replacing the standing rigging if you don't know how old it is. It will last a lot longer in northern climes than in warm seas, so you might be ok, but its a lot cheaper to replace it now than it will be to replace it and repair any possible damage from a failure. Not to scare you out of love with your new toy. Just a thought to help you enjoy it more. The more you fix it and maintain it, the more you will come to trust it and the more fun you will have with it. Feel free to send any questions you might have my way. Liz

M

Michael "Geeser" Gee

The Courtney E. Sails

The Courtney E. has made it maiden voyage. We put into the water today and had a glorious first sail. For Maine, it was a perfect day. Nice steady breeze, not too many gusts (had to worry about the first family and the scare factor!). Boy she handled like a dream like everyone said. And did I say the sun was out!! We have had some challenging weather so today was one to take addvantage of. Thanks again everyone for your support and advice. I look forward to keeping in touch. I am O'Day hooked!!! Mike.

J

It _was_ great wasn't it!

Mike, Great to hear you got the boat out today! I was out in Casco Bay for a couple of hours. Man it was perfect. So how does she sail? I've sailed Rhodes 19's (same hull, same rig) and they're a great combination of keelboat stability and dinghy performance. I imagine your Mariner goes similarly. Where in Maine is Three Mile Pond? Maybe we can do a group sail sometime. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
WTG Geeser!

glad to hear you got the boat out! there's nothing like a sunny, windy day on a good boat. congrats!

M

Mike Gee

In South China, Maine

I thought you probably out sailing yesterday Justin. Three Mile Pond is in the China Lakes Region east of Augusta. Not a huge body of water but we live on the lake and I wanted something I could jump on after work and have some fun. Also needed something dry to get the family out with me. My wife christine was very pleased with the stability of the boat. The neighbors have been great. One loaning his mooring and another his canoe to get back and forth to the mooring. I am very pleased with the boat overall. probably the first thing to replace is the cable to the centerboard. it is a bit frayed and down to a couple strands. I'll have to examine a little closer but any idea how difficult to replace this? Not a problem right now since I do not plan on raising or lowering alot but need to address before taking out of the water in the fall. thanks again for the advice etc. maybe some day will meet in person. hope to get a photo soon and post a pic. catch ya. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.