looking for a Chrysler 26' owner willing to answer questions.

Jul 26, 2022
Catalina 24 Olney Springs
I am looking for a Chrysler 26 to do some major mods to. While I am looking It would be very helpful to get measurements so I can work out tank placement and floor plans. I could then start collecting parts and materials for the build.
I plan on things like electric hybrid system, An un-stayed mast on a tabernacle, hard doggier with cover over the cockpit. Tender davits and swim step. Fully insulated and custom interior. Junk sail rigged. Shower and gray and black water holding tanks.A mini long range cruiser that can be trailered from river to lake to ocean. I want to go explore America from the water as well the roads.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Consider what it would cost to do the work first because the value of the boat is less than what you are going to put into it. If fixed keel, it is more difficult to launch and retrieve. The last Chrysler with a fixed keel, the keel flexed.
There were two plants one of which was in Suffolk, VA but there is no one there anymore. Chrysler went out of business many years ago.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
An un-stayed mast on a tabernacle
Is that a thing? The unstayed masts I’ve seen on anything larger than a dinghy have been the width of telephone poles and keel stepped. The strength needed for an unstayed mast is, in my mind, incompatible with the ease of launching you’re after.

Is there a reason you’re after a Chrysler 26 in particular? There might be other boats better suited for what you’re looking to do.

Also, some of your desires lead to contradictory design considerations. For example a junk rig is known for downwind performance, which is fine for tradewind passages, but not so much for lakes and winding rivers.

Jul 26, 2022
Consider what it would cost to do the work first because the value of the boat is less than what you are going to put into it. If fixed keel, it is more difficult to launch and retrieve. The last Chrysler with a fixed keel, the keel flexed.
There were two plants one of which was in Suffolk, VA but there is no one there anymore. Chrysler went out of business many years ago.
I am looking for a swing keel. I saw one go last week for $250 us with the trailer. I WAS TOO LATE. Darn.
I am not really interested in the value of the boat when finished. She will be my home. I plan on full timing. She has a hard to find hull shape. Lots of room below. For only being 26' she has a 6ft head room. * ft beam means I can take her down any hwy in the US without restriction.
I have kids on both coasts and the us has lots of lakes and rivers in between. With a keel up draft of only 30" there are not many places I could not put her in.
I am 65 now. I was forced to retire due to a TBI at work. I have been threatening to get a sailboat and run away sense I was 16, I think it is time. LOL

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You are wise on a swing keel but do check the boat out. Obviously this is a boat you want and fix up as cost is not an issue. I merely point out thing to consider. However do check the hull as I was told that by a friend who was the last manger of the Suffolk, VA for Chrysler sailboats

Jul 26, 2022
Is that a thing? The unstayed masts I’ve seen on anything larger than a dinghy have been the width of telephone poles and keel stepped. The strength needed for an unstayed mast is, in my mind, incompatible with the ease of launching you’re after.

Is there a reason you’re after a Chrysler 26 in particular? There might be other boats better suited for what you’re looking to do.

Also, some of your desires lead to contradictory design considerations. For example a junk rig is known for downwind performance, which is fine for tradewind passages, but not so much for lakes and winding rivers.
Unstayed masts are an essential part of the junk rig. This 26' boat with a 32' mast would only require a mast of 4" in dynamiter if made of hollow aluminum.
I have chosen the Chrysler 26' for its interior size and trailer able weight. A junk rig because of its simple single handed ease of operation that does not require me to ever leave the cockpit. Not even to reef. I think you will find a junk rig will sail fairly close to the wind. As for speed, I am not in a hurry. She has a hull speed of just 6.3Kts. As a junk rig she will be simple to lower the mast single handed for places like the Erie Canal where there is a bride of only 15.5 ft in height.
With a keel up draft of only 30' I can gunkhole away from most everyone and enjoy the peaceful quiet of nature.
She will be an RV trailer I can put in the water. She is the right size to haul in and out of all the national parks and a fair, good weather coastal sailor. I have no desire to cross oceans. I want to see America.

Jul 26, 2022
You are wise on a swing keel but do check the boat out. Obviously this is a boat you want and fix up as cost is not an issue. I merely point out thing to consider. However do check the hull as I was told that by a friend who was the last manger of the Suffolk, VA for Chrysler sailboats
My desire is a Chrysler 26' that I can gut completely. I even wish to remove the insert. The boat from the factory is said to have an over 6' headroom? Myself being a towering 5'3", gives me room to play. Fully insulated hull, using 1" closed cell foam with a thermal reflective layer over that, and then ceiling. A boat that will not condensate. How I wish I had a set of measured drawings for this hull and deck.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
When I started looking for a little bigger boat I ran across a Chrysler 26 and was impressed with how much roomier it was than my little Mac and the low price for its size. Being new to sailboating at that time I became more aware of the dangers of 3 foot'ism(a made-up concept seems to actually exist) as I did the research and so held off getting the 26 in the moment. I recommend against changes that you are proposing at least at your beginning because I think that boat will do its best as designed rather than as might be modified. You should be able to get your money back out of it without any work or significant loss of time or funds if you don't modify it at the get go. I suspect the proposed improvements probably won't give you the gains that you expect.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022
The way I look at it is boats are built as cheaply as possible. The mods will make her far more comfortable for cruising use and the conversion to a junk rig will make for a far safer boat for this old cripple.
Being able to reef from the cockpit or even drop all sail is a snap without a need to go on deck. No mess, the sail folds up like a blind. A junk rig will not jive hard and contrary to rumor will point just as close to the wind if properly rigid.
I chose the Chrysler 26' For its size and draft. Should make a great Gunkholer. That and I can legally tow her on any road in the USA. As for value,when I am dead, that is someone else's problem. LOL I am looking for a trashed boat. I just missed one in Kansas city Mo for $250 on a trailer. She has a soft deck in the cockpit. Fiberglass is no big thing for me. The boat on the trailer is no bigger or heaver than the RV I tow now. I have put a lot of thought into this. I want to see America. An RV that can take to the water. Big storm coming , back on the trailer and I can be 300 miles away in 6 hours.
Thank you for Your input. I do listen and take all to consideration.